New SL/ASL scenarios!!!

Now there are not just maps on the site, but scenarios as well. Three SL/ASL scenarios submitted yesterday are up for some fighting, real good ones as well. Even more are on the way.

Two Squad Leader classics:

# 7 "The Bitche Salient"

# 8 "Buchholz Station"

and also one from ASL:

RP 7 "Fire and Rain"

Drop by:

http://www.freebox.com/asl2cm

and pick them up.

Sniperscope:

King's Castle is on the way, hopefully tomorrow, maybe friday.

Col. Klotz

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Col. Klotz:

Now there are not just maps on the site, but scenarios as well. Three SL/ASL scenarios submitted yesterday are up for some fighting, real good ones as well. Even more are on the way.

# 7 "The Bitche Salient"

# 8 "Buchholz Station"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I press the download button, I get a new window with gibberish frown.gif; if I drag the download button to the desktop, I get an alias tongue.gif. How do I download these files confused.gif

henri

Just a quick note regarding my experiences with this new ASL scenario, Bucholtz Station (sp?).

It seems that because there is not victory flag in the center of the town, the AI (when playing against the computer) does not know where to head. the end result in my game was that I, as the US, got into position on the town and waited. It wasnt until turn 11 of 18 that some german inf showed up in the outskirts of town. Perhaps this is how you wanted it. Perhaps this should only be a 2 player scenario. But if the TAC AI were better, it wouldnt need this guidepost of sorts to get it pointed in the right direction. Nice job otherwise!

Just my thoughts,

TeAcH

*** SPOILER ***

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

First, this is a submitted scenario, I haven't designed it.

However I believe it's true to the original. According to the original victory conditions, the side with less losses than the other wins OR if the Germans exit 7 squads off the southern edge (there is an exitzone on the southern side for the germans)

When I played it now, I got contact with the Germans on turn 4 (I just moved the trucks away and scouted east with the jeep). I hid my left flank platoons and soon they opened fire when the Germans crossed the road. Total slaughter ensued and I won by 99 to 1.

A flag in the village perhaps will make the Germans more determined and inventive, but they still have a long way to go there if following the original setup.

I believe this to be a general problem with the conversions from ASL/SL. You know the approaches of the enemy or positions of the defenders and can change plans accordingly in SL. This is not (and should not) be possible in CM. I guess this show up more in some scenarios.

I still think it's challenging in PBEM (if the setup is known, ie. both have the original scenario) and as the German vs AI, but not as the American vs the AI. IMHO.

Col. Klotz

[This message has been edited by Col. Klotz (edited 07-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Col. Klotz (edited 07-20-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Col. Klotz:

# 7 "The Bitche Salient"

# 8 "Buchholz Station"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is something wrong: when I try to start up those scenarios, my computer locks up and I have to kill the program with ctl-alt-delete. frown.gif Could it have anything to do with the fact that I am running them at 1280x1078 resolution? I don`thave problems with otehr scenarios. smile.gif

Anybody else try those scenarios? I downloaded them twice with the same result.

Henri

"There is something wrong: when I try to start up those scenarios, my computer locks up and I have to kill the program with ctl-alt-delete."

That's weird, Henri.

I just did a quick check, downloaded and ran the scenarios for a bit (not in 1280 x 1024 though) and they ran just fine.

Of course the Col didn't construct those scenarios so he'll have to refer back to the designer. I'm meeting him (the Col) in a few hours and we'll check it all out a bit more.

-Derfel

------------------

The only problem for a cobra attacking small furry animals is that occasionally one of them will turn out to be a mongoose...

[This message has been edited by Derfel (edited 07-22-2000).]

I tried to run them at varioius resolutons, and they still won`t run frown.gif. Could it be because Imy computer is set for 32-bit color? The only difference I can see is that usually scenarios I download are zipped whereas yours are not.. :cnofused:

I`m using Netscape to download the scenarios, and I have to use the "save link" command todownload; if I press the download button, it writes gibberish to the screen instead of downloading. Maybe I`ll try downloading them with Explorer, which is also on y disk... eek.gif

(a few minutes later...)

OK, I sucessfully downloaded teh scenarios using Microsoft Explorer and opened one cool.gif, so the problem is clearly related to something related to netscape 4.7 confused.gif.

Henri

[This message has been edited by Henri (edited 07-22-2000).]

Bucholz station spoiler

I just played Bucholz station as well, and hardly had any contact with the germans. Around turn 9 I eliminated a german squad, but that was it. My only losses were a truck that bogged (in the road!) and subsequently immobilized itself, causing the crew to bail.

One difference between the CM scenarion design and the original is that the victory conditions in the SL scenario specify that the germans must exit *via the roads* on the south edge. If the exit area were restricted to the roads then an ami defender would have some idea how to move, and there would at least be some contact.

I ended up winning 98-2 (the truck was counted as lost). The german had 9 casualties, but failed to exit any units as the AI was trying to sweep them around on the east and they all got too tired.

I think the problem in "Buchholz Station" is that it is a meeting engagement AND a breakthrough. The Germans are also in minority which further makes it difficult.

I think you're right Chrisl. The Germans should head for the village.

I tweaked it like this: I placed a flag in the road junction north of the village to make the German AI go for a western route. Also I increased the experience for the Germans and decreased it for the Americans. This also reflect the shock of being surprised. The Germans were surprised too but they were already on the move and probably more alerted.

Col. Klotz