Mortars targeting

Help! My on screen mortars will not fire. I know they must have LOS to target, or have their CO with LOS, however, I cannot get them to fire even with these parameters. What am I doing wrong? My men are getting creamed with no mortar support!

Check if the unit is within Minimum or Maximum range. Look at stats for unit and see what it says. This should really be apparent as when plotting file it says "Out Of Range".

If they really have LOS (or Command Radius) and the above is OK then there should be no problem.

I should not have to mention this but what is there ammo status / morale status? Either of these could mean they might not fire.

The final thing I can think of is if you are targeting a unit that the crew don't think they can damage. If this is the case the crew will decide not to fire. (It will show as targetted and then drop the target as the turn starts.)

If you really want to target that unit, then target ground near it. This might get you a hit but if your crew are telling you that they will not damage it then it is better to target something else. This of course could mean you waste a whole salvo at a spot of ground where the unit was 5 seconds ago but the moves well away and you waste a lot of ammo on an empty spot of real estate. (Possibly pissing off a few rabbits or badgers?)

;)

H

Check to insure that the crew is still crewing the mortar. I had a crew just walk away from their weapon, and their pistols were obviously out of range when I'd put the target cursor out there. I don't remember seeing the mortar come under fire which could cause the crew to get the "H" out of dodge, but it must have happened.

Here is another explination. You also had another CO in the area and that CO was moving. Before motars fired he bacame the CO for the mortars but did not have the LOS that the other CO had, thus not firing. I've been botherd by this more than once.