Stolberg - Punching a Hole (*SPOILER*) and why I LOVE this game

I'm only just starting my third battle in this operation but I just have to share with the group what as happened so far (or maybe I just what to become a member, either way I'm going to post this smile.gif ).

I kept everything at the default setup. And because of my luck at the start of the battle I had to abandon the town my men started in by the end of the first battle (I'm playing the Germans by the way). My 88 bunker along with the MG bunker to its north were knocked out seconds into the first turn. Because the two 75 bunkers to the extreame north and south of town were more effective, the Americans decided to storm the town located in the center. I had to pull my Panthers, along with what was left of my troops out of town or have them overrun or encircled. And I did not want to lose those Panthers!!! I backed up my Panthers on the road inbetween the hills south of the town. And sent my troops to the tops of the two hills.

I decided not to skip the night battle (I wanted to see what it was like to play one at night). I tried to sneak three understrength platoons into the town from the southeast, masking them with the woods and scattered trees. At the same time I was sneaking my 105 and 120mm spotters onto the hill just south of the town. My understrength platoons made it as far as the edge of the woods, just before entering the town, before they spotted what looked like a company of American infantry heading down the road toward my Panthers. By this time my spotters were in position (but being that it's night they could not see well) and I had them all target the center of town. I figured that was safer because I didn't want stray shells hitting my platoons (has it was some shells fell darn close). I then started to move my two Panthers and the StuH42 closer up the center road because my spotters were reporting vehicle noises to their front. At the same time I moved my two Stug IIIG's down the road to the north of the two hills to make sure nothing was trying to go down that road and make an end run on me.

By the time the battle ended I had lost one understrength platoon and the Americans had lost what looked like 6 infantry squads eliminated, two 105 Shermans knocked out, an M3Halftrack knocked out, an M8 Greyhound knocked out, an M5 Stuart, an M10 Tank Destroyer, and a smart ass brave as hell M4A3(75) Sherman knocked out (he gunned that Sherman right between my two Panthers on the road like he was on fire and tried to get a rear shot at one of my Panthers. I had to play that turn back just to admire what that Sherman tried to do). I may have been unlucky at the start but my luck held in the end. The Stuart and the Tank Destroyer were probable repairable because they were not on the map at the start of the next battle.

The whole reason for this post, and one of the many reasons I love this game, is what occured during the last two minutes of the battle. I had gotten carried away with the smell of smoke and cordite, the screams of men, and the sound of tank rounds exploding rolleyes.gif . I decided to move one of my Panthers closer to town to support what was left of my three understrength platoons that were battling not only with American infantry but one mean muther of a 105 Sherman. Well, when the Panther got close enough to the 105 Sherman I discovered that there was not one 105 Sherman, but two, and an American bazooka was in a house across the road and my Panther would wind up showing his rear to that same bazooka before all was said and done.

The Panther finished off one 105 Sherman on turn 14. When turn 15 started my Panther was face on to the last 105 Sherman and butt on to the American bazooka. I found this situation not to my satisfaction (I was sweating my ass off!!!). I targeted the house the bazooka was in with two panzerschrecks, the other Panther, and the StuH42. I just wanted to knock the bazookas aim off (I thought a bazooka up the ass was an undignified way for my beloved Panther to go rolleyes.gif ). I realize now that it was overkill, because the bazooka tried to run out of that house 10 seconds into the turn and was eliminated from play 10 seconds latter. But I thought the battle (slugfest) between the Panther and the last 105 Sherman was worth the price of admittion (in fact I played back that turn about 5 times to watch it from different angles). Those 105 shells were exploding all around and on my Panther. The Panther immobilized the 105 Sherman with its first shoot, penetrated with about three others (I think this may have slowed the Sherman down some, shooting wise that is), and didn't knock the Sherman out until 7 seconds before the battle ended.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by MadDog0606 (edited 06-29-2000).]

I am glad you are enjoying it, Mad Dog! It makes the effort worthwhile. It is still one of my favorites.

I had a similar situation or two in and around the town. It does get tight on those streets at night wink.gif !

You've used some pretty good strategy for the Germans, but be ready. There are still a few surprises to come.

Yeah, I love this game.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com