Memory type question

I currently have 256MB of CAS2 RAM in my system. It is an Athlon 800, Asus A7V133 MoBo, running WinME. I would like to add another 256MB in the second DIMM slot. Do I need to get CAS2 type, or will the MUCH cheaper CAS3 be compatible? Anyone have a definite answer on this?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by R_Leet:

I currently have 256MB of CAS2 RAM in my system. It is an Athlon 800, Asus A7V133 MoBo, running WinME. I would like to add another 256MB in the second DIMM slot. Do I need to get CAS2 type, or will the MUCH cheaper CAS3 be compatible? Anyone have a definite answer on this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CAS 2 is a rating, rather than a type. It means it has been tested to be able to run at cas 2 (which is faster than cas 3).. but you can take cas 2 ram and run it in cas 3 mode.. and you can sometimes take cas 3 and run it in cas mode, its just not tested/garunteed to do so.

So yes, you can use the cas 3, there won't be a problem with it. You'll have to set it up to run at cas 2 in your bios if you haven't already though, unless you can get the new ram running at cas 2.

Okay, I understand, I think. I got the 2 because it was recommended for the speed "bonus". So I can run the 2 at a setting of 3, so so they are both at 3, and take a slight hit on the speed. Or I can try to get the 3 to run at 2, which it may not be able to handle. I'm sorry now that I got the more expensive stuff to begin with! Thanks for the info, it is what I thought, but couldn't confirm.