Shell angle of attack vs/armor slope

Hello guys, I did a little test to see if the angle of attack of a shell would be a factor in computing penetration. I took a jadgpanther and placed it at the bottom of a level 17 steep hill(steep terrain 5meters). I then took a Sherman and placed it at the top of the same hill. The distance between the two tanks was 99 meters. The jadgpanther has 80mm at 55 degrees for upper hull and 60mm at 55 degrees for lower hull. the 75mm on the sherman can penetrate 97mm at 0 degrees at 100 meters. Normally, with such a difference between heights, the sherman should be able to hit the front plate of the panther at near a 0 degree angle and penetrate easily the lower front plate and have a good chance of penetrating the upper hull. Well, not one shot penetrated out of 36 and many were lower hull hits. So far, it shows that the angle at which the shell hits the armor plate is not calculated in the game. So height advantage has a much lower value than it normally should against superior tanks. Feel free to comment.

Regards,

I stand corrected.. should have done more test but I wanted to get a reaction and an answer hehe I did the same test yesterday with a Hetzer instead of a jagdpanther.. it showed good results.. the sherman 75mm didn,t have a chance of penetrating the upper hull armor. But put the Sherman on top of 19 levels hill and the hetzer at the bottom of it.. and you get a penetration of the upper hull front plate everytime.. heheh So the angle stuff really work smile.gif You go from "low" chance of success to "Good" when targetting the hetzer from a high enough hill.

Regards,

Patrick

Hehe, glad to hear you found yourself a good example Patrick. This is something to remember when you get to those pesky T-34's on the Eastern Front.

I was testing recently and played out a battle against two T-34's with a platoon of Pz-38's. I ended the battle with a lot of my tanks smoking, hehe.

Dan

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

I was testing recently and played out a battle against two T-34's with a platoon of Pz-38's.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]<hr></blockquote>

Quick - update the CMBBFAQ! Pz 38's are definitely in! smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

I was testing recently and played out a battle against two T-34's with a platoon of Pz-38's.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]<hr></blockquote>

Now who would want do try that... :confused:

I hope CMBB wont be published in a looong time...

My studies are nearing their completion, just the last push left...

Would it be possible to publish CMBB next fall possibly??

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

I hope CMBB wont be published in a looong time...

My studies are nearing their completion, just the last push left...

Would it be possible to publish CMBB next fall possibly??<hr></blockquote>

You, sir, have a very evil aspect to you. ;)

Nathanael