Troops singing for morale pts?

I have read somewhere that both the Commonwealth and German troops would sing as they were doing battle. This might have been a bit more applicable in the trenches of WWI, but I am wondering if the observation would have been applicable in European theater as well.

One observation about the American presence was that they kept always quiet and efficient, just going about their business without any fanfare.

Any thoughts about CMBB incorporating a musical accompaniment into battle? When more than a few squads were bunched together, in a structure or on the field, could possibly trade visibilty points for a slight boosting of morale... I dunno...

R.O.C.K. = U.S.A.

nwc

You are misinformed. Troops did not sing in battle.

Commonwealth did not even sing on the way to battle, if we are to believe Strome Galloway, an officer who served in N. Africa, Sicily, Italy and NW Europe. He bemoaned the fact that WW II had no great marching songs as they had in WW I.

There were lengthy threads here on the topic of German soldiers yelling to each other in action whereas GIs were silent (or vice versa?) but singing wasn't done in the middle of a firefight.

There are, however, some sound mods of bugles, bagpipes, etc. if you look around for them.

Part of the problem with doing waaaaay too much research on any subject is you can't quite recall where you read something. Anyway, I did read somewhere that the the French attacked singing, the English shouting, but the Americans in silence. It was the silence that bothered the Germans most.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> One observation about the American presence was that they kept always quiet and efficient, just going about their business without any fanfare. <hr></blockquote>

Can't wait until Brian gets to read that passage.

Gyrene