Kommerschietd Help

Theres a scenario that I cant beat the Ai on as the gerries, its called Kommerschiedtd or something cant remember the exact name. Anyway you have a number of panthers and a company+ size force of inf and some artillary.

Trouble is the yanks seem to have just to much inf to overcome and I always get wiped out by the end due to the seer numbers of yankee troops. Any suggestions how to beat this scenario?

Cheers

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Horncastle:

Any suggestions how to beat this scenario?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probe to find the US defenses, use the Panthers for stand-off fire support, bombard the village with all the arty, deliver one concentrated assault after you have done all that. Pray the air support does not get you.

I played the US in a PBEM of this great scenario. Really good stuff, ended in a draw, because of my high losses.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Guest highlife

This is one of my favorite scenarios. I agree with Germanboy about tactics. I also found it was real important to keep a couple of Panthers alive for a final assault on the town. Infantry vs infantry is a real challenge for the germans in this one. But watch for the zillion zooks the US seems to have!

Chaps this is what I usually do

1) Move half my panthers on to the trees on the ridge to provide fire support, blowing up buildings etc. ( sometimes I get taken out by air power real bad i.e. knock outs and immobile)

2) Move most of my force to the edge of the woods closet to the village. Sometimes send a platoon up to the 4 houses near the little lake as a diversion ( good at using up the american artillery)

3) Use all my artillery on the forward positions of the yanks mainly on the woods and house towards the front

4) Use 81 mm smoke to cover my inf attack

5) Charge with all my inf, when smoke clear I normally have around 3-4 HMG teams that can give some supporting fire from the woods

6) Begin to move my Panthers down towards the yanks

7) 50% of my inf take heavy casualties and run broken, platoon HQ generally hold their ground putting many units out of effective command

8) Remaining 50% are suppressed and slowly over a number of turns get killed and break

I just can't seem to beat it, there are just too many of the damn yankee blighters. Im pretty sure my tactics are reasonable, just cant seem to make it work out.

****SPOILER*****

Horncastle, don't despair - you are doing just as good as the Germans did historically, and in this particular scenario that is already quite a feat, since the attacker has nearly as many points as the defender.

I have designed the scenario with historical accuracy in mind, but it actually developed into a nice example of the fact that points alone do not determine the balance of a game. What you get for your points as well as the setup, ground conditions etc. play just an important role.

Another point to keep in mind (and a deliberate decision as designer) is that unlike many other scenarios (which doesn't make other scenarios bad, mind you) it is next to impossible to annihilate the defender completely and/or get a total victory (from both sides). So when you actually get a minor or tactical victory, consider having done a good job.

As far as tactics - the best tactics I've heard so far was from Steve when he played the scenario the first time. He had the Panthers stand back and deliver direct fire support and moved most/all of his infantry around the right flank (DEEP into the right flank). There is a little valley there which protects the attacking force from view of the defender until the very last moment and will enable you (with the help of the Panthers) to get a "bridgehead" into town. How well it goes from there depends as much on luck as anything else - but you can get at least a tactical most of the time.

Another thing to remember is to know when to break off the fight (i.e. stop pushing forward). When you see that your morale and troop strength is brittle, it might be better to settle for one flag and call it a day. You do not even have to call for a ceasefire but simply switch into defend mode and have the Ami come to you (if he wants). But even when calling a ceasefire you might earn a tactical victory or at least a draw with 53-47 to your favour, and should consider this a job well done.

Martin

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision