Pbem name files?

I find it confusing to remember which file is which in pbem games, especially when two or more are bing played simultaneously. This is made more confusing by the fact that the first move alternates between players, and some of the files are movies and some are moves. Another factor is that sometimes you expect to be able to make a move, but instead you are asked to name a file. Maybe like former President Ford, I just can't chew gum and think at the same time...

What have you found to be the easiest way to manage pbem files in CM? Maybe keeping a piece of paper with files names would help?

Henri

Well, name the game files with the name of your opponent to remeber which is which.

If you have movie files left over, why not create a seperate folder for them and keep them there until you wish to view them, when you can easily put them back in the PBEM folder?

Just my suggestions.

------------------

...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

I've found it to be easiest to use a combination of the opponents name or the scenarios name and consecutive numbering.

For example the first file would be named JoeBill01.txt, the second JoeBill02.txt and so on. This way you won't naturally be able to tell which one is a movie file, except maybe from the size of the file.

>For example the first file would be named >JoeBill01.txt, the second JoeBill02.txt and so on.

This is a pretty good idea. Unfortunately I've quickly found out that not all players can agree on one system. If you don't mind renaming every file that comes in I guess it could work. I usually create separate folders in the PBEM folder with each player's name on it. When their email and attachment comes in you just place it into their folder. It's not impossible to still screw it up, but I found that it works fairly well. With multiple games going on I never know if I'll be watching a movie and making a move, or just a move, or just watch a movie. Jaakko's idea of looking at the size of the file probably would work. I'm going to pay more attention to those from now on.

Pig

[This message has been edited by Capitalist Pig (edited 08-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Capitalist Pig (edited 08-11-2000).]

I find this a very good way after the setup

call the file (something) player1 who plots the first turn calls it somethingturn1.zip the next player plots his turn and calls it somethingturn1a it goes back to player1 who views the movie and sends it back as somethingm.zip then this player watches movie and plots turn, file is now called somethingturn2.zip player 1 now plots = turn2.zip and so forth, this way you immediately know if you are going to view ,plot or view and plot hope this makes sense if it works for you I cannot take the accolades cause I did not think it up.I also keep folders for each game.over and out

------------------

Gramps

Problems crop up w/ multiple games and similar sounding names, esp if it's late (yawm) and ESP if you forgot which one is incoming and what's outgoing.

I found a rather elegant solution from various sources. Each game is assigned a number (01, 02, 03 etc) then an identifier (JD Mark) (southofSword) ( even Quick Battle) something to jog the memory. Then sequentially number an exchange, so a game file would look like 03 JD Mark #23, the return file is 03 JD Mark #24. When the opponet processes the turn, all he has to do is change the last digit (or two) in the email screen.

This system has several advantages. First the numbers rank the turns in sequential groups in the folders, next you will be either consistenly even or odd once you are underway.It doesn't mix up w/ differing names. It groups all turns in line and you can see whether the last received file is yours to send or theirs to be played. Greatly helps in tracking down turns when you forget to send or some thing screws the data.

** Note the first two digits can be anything. So if there is a conflict w/ another players current game roster then just assign a mutually agreed number. Once the game ends, the numbers are of course available to assign to a new game

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86