Now What Do I Do?

I have done up a scenario to a stage where I want to test it. I have been unable to make the saved file available for that. The title does not appear in the scenario list. I found the file after some hunting under an old CM Demo folder. I moved it into the game scenario folder and still it does not appear. Please advise me as to what I am doing wrong or what I should be doing.

I am beginning to suspect that I may be having trouble with the way I installed the game. I placed it under a general folder called War. The scenario builder may be expecting to save the file under a CM folder as such rather than a subfolder. Or this may not be related at all. I am stumped.

Something's wrong on your end because I'm not having this problem at all. I installed CM into its own directory but this is on a different drive than the default. So I don't think that by itself is the problem.

When you save a scenario with the editor, it goes into the Saved Games folder. The docs say you then need to move it to the Scenarios folder. However, I have found this to be untrue. I just copied the scenario to the Scenarios folder, leaving it in the Saved Games folder. And now it shows up on the scenario selection list twice.

So I think you have some other problem. Don't have a clue what it is tho

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Thanks Bullethead, I'll keep on bashing around. Maybe a total reinstall if nothing else works.

I sure hope I don't lose the scenario,though.

I put too many hours in on it for that. And my server is giving me hell. Whine whine whine.

If you are afraid of losing your not-yet-completed scenario on a reinstall, simply save the scenario into a temporary folder before you uninstall CM. After you have reinstalled CM, move the scenario back into the scenario folder.

------------------

Formerly known as not THE Charles from BTS

Bobbaro,

When you save the scenario,

1. You are given the option as to where to save it, in which directory. Do you remember where you chose to save it?

2. It should have a .cmb extension. If it does not, that is why the game can't find it.

3. Did you save it as a scenario or an operation? An operation has a .cmc extension.

4. Use your file manager to search for it if you remember what you named it.

5. Once you find it, check the extension. You must load it into the scenarios subdirectory for it to appear in the menu.

Let me know if this works for you.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

I resaved it and sent it off to the scenario file. It still did not appear. It did have a cmb. extension. I also checked the operation side and it did not appear there either. I may create a short and fast scenario as a test and save it to the correct place first time around. Maybe in messing around something got corrupted.

Guest Big Time Software

Dunno if this will help, but you might have to exit Combat Mission and relaunch it with the file already in the Scenario Folder.

Steve

Guest Madmatt

Just another observation, but Saved Games are always listed FIRST in alphabetical order then followed by Scenarios in alphabetical order. So if its in the Scenario folder it will be tucked in with all the other scenarios and NOT at the top of the list like all the saved games...IIRC wink.gif

Madmatt

p.s. I will double check this once I get home though...Thats how I remember it though!

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

There's the possibiliy that he might have created an operation instead of a scenario without realizing it? That would prevent it from showing up as a scenario. Try clicking the operation button at top and see if it shows up.

Los

Thanx fellows, I reinstalled and it is still inoperative. I am going to send it zipped and e-mail attached to Wild Bill as per his offer. Oh, and I did up another test scenario and no difference. This time I was more exacting in watching the save destinations etc. Maybe I am just missing some little simple step here, being prone to dumb things like leaving out a dot in e-mail addresses and the like. But, it seems that the editor interface is so simple and straight forward that it can handle all manner of clumsiness.

Update: Got the scenario from Bobaroo. I unzipped, loaded it into the scenario subdirectory and I can see it just fine. It looks like a great scenario with a beautiful huge map. Waiting to hear from Bobaroo after a few tech pointers. More later.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Well folks, here we sit, no better than before except having checked out a few negatives and positives. Positive: checks out ok as a battle for sure with Wild Bill; negative: nothing I do here has helped make it work.

With a second copy in town on a nice computer setup, I have access to further local testing. Will update as info becomes available. I suspect some grimlin in Bill Gates system of file handling. It would be nice if it proved to be a minute pit in the diskette making the program blind to loading up properly. But, that seems remote.