What is the best way to use shermans agaist tigers?

Guest Rob/1

Prayer smile.gif Mass your Shermans so the Tiger can only fire at one at a time, if they're in front of each other. That shouldn't be allowed to happen, though. Get the Shermans where you can take flank or rear shots that will give you a chance of penetrating the Tiger's armor.

------------------

Hope you got your things together,

Hope you are quite prepared to die. --CCR

I use my Shermans as line of sight hinderances what with all the billowing black smoke and fire that seems to come from them. redface.gif

I also watch in utter amazement as my Sherman gunners fire shot after shot at the Tiger or Panther, for that matter, while the German takes one maybe two shots to dispatch them.

Must be something in the K-rations! biggrin.gif

Use your Shermans aggressively. Move em in close and around a flank under cover.

Team up your tanks by twos onto a single Tiger and try for the shot.

Jockeying can also work. Crest a hill and then reverse each Sherman usually gets a single shot off and then gets back under cover.

Remember the Tiger is lethal but it can only target one thing at a time so try and hit em hard and at close range with as much as you've got.

Get there firstest with the mostest.

Liberal use of reverse slope tactics.

Find ambush positions that allow you to retreat behind defalaide. As the Tiger approaches, set your orders to Hunt followed in the same turn with a retreat order. Hopefully, the tanker will creep up long enough to get one shot and retreat. Ideally, this does not give the Tiger enough time to traverse his turrent enough to target you accurately.

Do this with several targets (I mean Shermans, oops!) and (in an ideal world) Tiger will take several shots while returning fire with only machineguns.

I have pulled this off a couple times and it works wonders.

In general, it takes about 6-7 shots from a 76 to penetrate a Tiger with anything resembling a frontal angle. 75's are far less promising. Use your superior numbers and don't be afraid of running like a beaver.

Popper

Against tanks with a slower turret I like to charge the shermans up close, and plot a full loop up to, around the victim, and then back to cover, moving fast almost the whole time, except for a very few short hunt segments. Don't plot it so it crosses in front of the gun on the early part of the loop-- plot so the gun is likely to have to try to track as you whirl around.

If you do this with two shermans at once, with a little space between them then it can work pretty well, but only against either tanks that are isolated or so close together that you can circle them all at once.

If your opponent has another hidden tank or gun behind the first then you're likely to get clobbered.

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.