Battle for Ponyri

I'm designing this battle with a few things in mind, but would like more feedback as to what the "users" would want for such a huge battle.

I have several half assed maps and OOB's of the battle.

I'm determined not to make it exactly like the battle. There were too many tanks and too many infantry for me to represent this on this map and still make it playable. Personally I'd rather have a fast computing battle with easy to manage forces.

The operation has 6 battles. It will be a static operation as no one really made any real estate changes that require a gigantic map. So far the map is about 3.5 KM long and 1KM wide. I've shrunk the map down considerably for faster calculations.

Any feedback would be great. I'll need some people to playtest but this won't be ready for testing for another week.

hi Elmo _ I too have been working on htis battle and came to the same basic conclusion of makeing it smaller and usable - I have 6 or 7 books on Kursk as sources-- if you have Oespry's book on the battle there is an over view map of the battle area that would be easy to copy -- I have not decided yet jsut how I am going to make this -- if I can help you let meknow and I look forward to yours-- hay we ought to play each other:)

I've got the Osprey book with the maps and little snirps about the battle but I've also got sketches made by the germans on those days of combat July 5th-11th 1943.

What I'd really like to know is the size of the village the battle took place in. By the accounts of some of the material I've read, a lot of the battle was fought right in the village itself. The school house, water tower and the train station were important objectives that passed hands several times. I've got pictures of some of the AFV's destroyed right outside the village (brumbar, halftrack and ferdinands) It was a collective farm which had a major railway line run right through the town. I've got the village designed with about 15 buildings (mixture of factories and small buildings with the odd two-storey in there)

Those Osprey maps are really hard to understand. They don't really do that good of a job on them.

Thanks for the help.

Hey hoop,

I'd like to check out what you got so far. I've been thinking of getting around to making a Ponryi battle. Send me you test scenarios. I'd like to see what direction your going in, and help out if I could.

If you check out Trey Marshall's Prokhorovka-Clash of Titans you will see what could happen if you tried to do the whole battle of Ponryi, Massively huge. But what you could do is make a map thats half scale, and reduce the numbers of units by half. Then you get a fun epic battle thats semi-managable. Thats the direction I'm going with my own Prokhorovka operation.

I will read and see if I can get any more info-- i learned they grew apples there too- it is described as a straggling long village-- yes after they captured hill 251 anyway the rest of the fight was in the village which was destroyed-- I have Ballentine book on Kursk-- Robin on Kursk Glantz x 2-- the Ospry- Barber on Kursk and Carrell Scorched Earth and Images of Kursk this last one has a chapter called "Slaughter at Ponyri" but not really a lot of pictures etc I would like to see what you do I am working a map now and have been picking units --I may have gotten carried away as the points total was about 18000-- I can not play Trey's (good as it is) even my 1.5 gig P4 does not do well with it-- i have learned it is easier to over load with CMBB than CMBO more graphic stuff I guess anyway stay in touch i would like to see how it goes and compare to mine --if your is better --I will quit and use yours smile.gif

I can just barely manage to play Trey's operation.

And I have a P3-667. I turn down the horizon to 1500m, and turn off all enviromental effects, weather, and trees. It works allright, but the turn calculations take me like an hour. Then just 5 mins to make my moves. Hehehe. But I need some chores or the movie Stalingrad to keep me occupied while I wait.

18000, heheheheh. Well I bet a battalion of Elephants would cost a lot.

Went through my first Axis vs AI battle in play testing this-- hard -- IL2s are real killers most of the village is gone and I am only at turn 21 of 45-first wave of mostly armor was mostly knocked out --second wave had more troops got hit hard and is bogged down _ I am having fun will now start tweeking---not so sure how it will play on a slower machine -it takes about 2-3 minutes per turn -still fun