Carenton operation questions

1kmm

I'm on the fourth battle of the Carenton operation and am still not quite sure if I'm doing the right thing. In this operation, you're supposed to hold the village crossroads and two bridges. In all three battles, I've managed to hold the village and the bridges haven't even been attacked. However, at the beginning of each battle, I find my troops pushed out of the village! In the last battle, I even counter-attacked and retook the village in a bloody battle, yet I find myself once again starting far outside of the village - this time even farther than before! Is this supposed to simulate my forces being pushed back, then having to retake the village? Or am I just approaching this wrong? Anybody who's played this operation, let me know how it worked out for you.

Hi

I am playingthe same op for the 2nd time now and like you have the same question although definitely differnet playing styles.

!st time I destroyed roughly 2.4x more US troops than my losses , still held the bridges (in my estimation), but still loss to the AI as a minor tactical win for the US.

On this 2nd go around I am playing more agressively as the Germans. Sending out 2 platoons size units (3RD to currently 5th game) on active patrol and ambush detail. Basically sending out these forces in areas I believe the AI will try to infiltrate which for me seems to be the center and right flanks (1st game was VERY DIFFERENT).

It would be the equivalent Vietnam era firebase active deployment. Where you sent out patrols especially at night for ambush engagements. Find them and send in the artie.

I've notice that by doing so my German units are not being pushed back gameby game. My 4th game I ambushed about 215 confirmed WIA/KIA VS 80 casulties on the Germans. that's about almost 2 full companies not including 8 M-4's and a recon vehicle in total.

So far this 5th game of the op I am finding few US troops to deal with and actually sending my patrols farther out on Search and Destroy.

I've not seen the US order of battle so I can't say what is in store for me but it appears that in this op the Germans cannot just sit and wait for the attack to come. This is an op for active defense

where each game the German must go out of its way (judiciously to wage havoc against the US forces). The AI will gravitate (like water) to the least resistance and you have to figure out where that will be. Artilery is crucial it seems.

This op is more than what it seems and playing it safe means you lose a tactical battle to the AI. If you feel up for it let's do aPBEM of the scenario. Send me a set up (any side - your choice) this op is pretty balanced from what I can see. Everything is dependent on the commander's ability to maneuver and strike effectively.

Patrick

Probe forward aggressively. You should be in possession of the entire map by game end. You will come in contact with sizeable US forces near the far map edge as you advance, so keep within mutual support distance. This is gamey, but you can fire up all your FO's around turn 14 knowing that the AI will assault you. 4 FO's drop a ton of 81mm fire and will effectively defang any attack on your troops.

Someday, the issue of being broadly pushed back will be changed. Until then, take solace in the fact that your opponent was pushed back to make a "no man's land" just as you were. So, be the first one to fill the vacuum when the battle starts.

[This message has been edited by Vergeltungswaffe (edited 12-14-2000).]

As a followup to my other post. I've just finished the operation of my 2nd try at Op Carentan and came out as a draw.

Final results were Allied losses at 1033 with 562 KIA /13 mortars/ 26vehicles & 1 captured. 35 OK.

Germans losses at 279 casualties w/ 153 KIA, 4 guns, 16 vehicles and 1 captured. 385 OK.

Clearly on the last game of the op there was hardly anything for me to fight against but instead of moving forward I stayed put covering the town of St Com du mont and the forest areas in front of Temerville. To win as the Germans you are therefore going to have to destroy the Allies plus advance to the allied staging areas in force to claim a major victory. I guess this is to simulate the pushing back of the allies to Utah Beach and backwards to the sea.

Great operation against the AI and I suspect evenly matched HTH in a PBEM game.

Best to all who reads this

Patrick