Nvidias WHQL 52.16 drivers, So does AA work or not? Details within...

I just did some testing with the WHQL 52.16's (essentially indentical with the beta's I was running) and here are my results. I also posted this to the tech forum.

I had been playing with the beta 52.16's for some time now so I didn't expect to see much difference with the official release detonator's but here are my results.

Test system is a P4 1.9 Ghz, 768 megs mem and a PNY FX 5600 Ultra video card. I tested with both CMBB and CMAK with similar results.

Full Screen Anti-Aliasing Setting:

x2 This mode caused the most problems. When launched the game played the sound but the screen was all black, pressing the mouse button stopped the music and I could hear the main menu drum sound but could see nothing still. I alt-tabbed out and back in and the screen was still all black. Moving the mouse around and clicking I then heard a Windows application fault *beep*, I pressed the mouse button a few more times and after about 10-15 seconds the Main Screen appeared correctly.

Not sure what the fault noise was caused by but if you run x2 and you get black screens, you may be able to alt-tab out and back in and get it to work like I did. Previously, with the beta drivers I just assumed x2 didn't work at all when I got the black screen and Control-Alt-Deleted out all together but on my card at least, this mode does now work, in a fashion.

x2Q This is Nvidias proprietary Anti-Aliasing solution. I was able to get it to work, but had to do the same process as above.

x4 The game came up properly but all text was blank. Alt-tabbing out and back in refreshed the screen and all text worked perfectly without problem.

x6S Another special AA mode. The game came up properly but all text was blank. Alt-tabbing out and back in refreshed the screen and all text worked perfectly without problem.

x8 I was surprised to find this mode worked perfectly. The game came up and all text appeared.

So, all in all the 52.16's a step forward but still not quite perfect, yet.

[ October 24, 2003, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I have the same impression with regards to the AA issues.

However, I was most pleasantly surprised to see that the new drivers had cured the intermittent stuttering that my CM setup have been suffering from for as long as I can remember. I would get tiny "hiccups" when moving around the battlefield, not a problem really, just a very minor annoyance. But still glad to see them go smile.gif

M.

Update: I was looking into the image quality issue reported in another thread and apparently the reason x8 AA seems to work without issue (no need to alt-tab out and in to get test to appear) is that is NOT actually applying any AA at all at that level.

Screenshots taken at x2, x4 or x6 levels shows less jagoies and smooth edges while at x8 it looks the same as running with no AA enabled. I will let Nvidia know, not that it will do much good.

So, my recommendation with these new drivers would be to only use levels x2 - x6 since x8 seems to be disabled.

I can not confirm if x8 works with other games or not, but I would think that it does. Detonator's have always had a problem with CM due to our use of both 3d and 2D elements in the same screen.

Madmatt

[ October 25, 2003, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

I tried loading these new drivers as well as the last set. I ended up going back to an old set. Wmy machine boots, there is a point when the Windows XP Logo screen comes up, goes black, and then asks you to logon. With these new drivers, that time in the black has gone from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes. BTW, I have a home built Athlon 2600 with a Geforce 3 ti200 video and 512MB of ram.

With many of the drivers newer than 30.87, load times on the older GeForce 3 "TI" cards increased. It's a known issue with the Ti cards and one which Nvidia has decided not to address.

It used to take my old GeForce 3 ti 500 about 4 minutes to boot, but my new FX 5600 Ultra takes mere seconds.

Madmatt

• 2 weeks later...

In my new monster rig i use a Geforce FX 5900.

It came default with the 52.16 drivers !

I use now 4x AA with 4x filtering.

CM starts without problems, for reading the text (scenario's) i have to use alt tab/escape 1x and back to CM.

Also for password typing with pbem i need to alt/tab to desktop or typing blindly hehe

Monty

[ November 17, 2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Monty ]