Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

need some help PLZ

hello all,

I'm new to this forum, i've bought the game Combat mission too smile.gif it rocks !!

but my question is maybe not correct here, but i'll hope your guy's will understand :)

I looking afther a combat game, en i want it in the VIETNAM WAR, my interest in vietnam is big, but i don't find a good game ( of any game .... ) can you help me with that problem please... I would love to fly with a heli ( the big GREEN one, the one hwo added the troops in the heat of the battle etc... ) or another type of game, ( i know vietnam : black ops, that game is realy bad ! ), so if you got any idees ?? plz tell me!!!!

THANKS

i remember a game called dien bien fu(or something like that). it was a board game back in the 70s. it was really good, but it was about the last stand of the french before north vietnam became a communist state. as far as puter games go they've been few and far between. steel panthers 2 covers everything from after ww2 to (then) present day stuff, including vietnam. but until bts decides to make a game on vietnam, there'll be nothing as good as combat mission...

Some Nam fans have tried to use CM to simulate Nam situations. I made a scenario about LZ X-Ray (the "We were soldiers" battle), for instance. Plays pretty well. Others have made some jungle crawls and attacks on villages surrounded by paddies. The CM game system is so much better than anything else out there at simulating squad to company level infantry combat, that in my opinion it is actually better than any tactical purpose built Nam game I've seen (board or computer). Sure, there are some abstractions involved - reinforcements in the middle of fields for helo drops, high quality mortar FOs as quick response helo rocket attacks - but it can hold together surprisingly well. If you are interested, mail me at jasoncawley@prodigy.net and I'll send you the X-Ray scenario, to give you an idea what is possible.

from this web site:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/Squad_battles/SBVietnam/SBVietnam.html

"Squad Battles: Vietnam is a turn-based game at the squad-level using 40 meter hexes and 5 minute turns.

Scenarios range in duration from a single-squad ambush scenario up to a

27 turn battalion-level melee. The major campaigns such as Starlite,

Cedar Falls, Tet, and Hamburger Hill are all covered in detail. "

Well OK?

But that game is not really like Combat Mission at all because it looks like hexes and card board counters on a carb board map onlythey made it into a computer game? (Big Deal :rolleyes: )

Thats why Combat Mission is so revolutionary. I'm not sure if any one else has thought about it this way but maybe When Charles and Steve had that now famous "falling out" with Avalon Hill over the rights to a Squad Leader computer game it was REALLY a blessing in disquise because it meant they could not "just" simulate card board counters and ugly hexes on a 2D card board map (ASL) on a computer.

Maybe they wanted to make a 3D simultaneous break through game like Combat Mission anyway (who knows) BUT with the requirement from Avalon Hill (I assume) that the new game NOT be a computer version of good old 2D ASL or Squad Leader, this ensured some unique innovation and the evolution of some previously untried game design decisions.

and viola! Combat Mission smile.gif (NOT Squad Leader converted to a computer game!)

AND WE ARE ALL THE BENEFACTORS of that breakthrough :D

-tom w

[ June 04, 2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]