Splitting Squads

It seems like splitting squads in the logical thing to do in about every situation. You spread out your firepower and increase your fields of fire. Having 10 to 12 men in one area, to my knowledge is not a good idea in any combat situation. If you so desire you can always put them the split squads close together and direct your fire on the same target. Recently I have begun splitting and find it gives me more freedom and increases the realism. Does anyone no of any liability their is to splitting squads?

Yes, your global morale decreases which makes all those split squads more likely to panic and get themselves easily killed.

If you use them well though you can offset that disadvantage but if, for example, you split all of your infantry you shouldn't be surprised to find your global morale down to 70% or so before a single shot is even fired. You have to ask yourself, are you skillful enough for that not to matter?

The global morale drop is only indirect.

There is a bug in CMBO 1.12 is that the second half of a split squad counts as dead with all regards to victory or morale calculations. Thus the morale drop, but it is really just the tip of the iceberg. Very bad if you can't re-unite before the game ends. And also bad for intelligence since the victory level of the opponent displays the fact that you split your squads. It is funny to see how the victory display goes back up for the opponent when he rejoins the units.

Having said all that, BTS said that split squads have a morale (not global) and combat power disadvantage. Not sure how to measure that precisely. But for me it seems the big squads take so many casulties on HE hits that the split thing is probably still good. I'm not happy about that because I already have too much plotting to do :-/

Originally posted by redwolf:

...BTS said that split squads have a morale (not global) and combat power disadvantage. Not sure how to measure that precisely. But for me it seems the big squads take so many casulties on HE hits that the split thing is probably still good. I'm not happy about that because I already have too much plotting to do :-/

I have observed that too mainly because of casualty percentages to the overall unit strength.

For example, 4 man SMG teams suffer 1 casualty which is 25%. They tend to go to cautious or shaken and often take cover. While an 8 man SMG squad can take 1 casualty and suffer no unit morale loss. These factors are varied by command influene of course.

I'd say there is a relatively simple math function that BTS uses to not only show unit morale effect with split squads but also with depleted squads.

-Sarge

Originally posted by redwolf:

The global morale drop is only indirect.

There is a bug in CMBO 1.12 is that the second half of a split squad counts as dead with all regards to victory or morale calculations. Thus the morale drop, but it is really just the tip of the iceberg. Very bad if you can't re-unite before the game ends. And also bad for intelligence since the victory level of the opponent displays the fact that you split your squads. It is funny to see how the victory display goes back up for the opponent when he rejoins the units.

That isn't entirely correct. Yes, YOU see the change in Victory level when splitting and rejoining squads, but your opponent doesn't. Unless that is factored in once your opponent spots them? I haven't seen that anyways...

Having said all that, BTS said that split squads have a morale (not global) and combat power disadvantage. Not sure how to measure that precisely. But for me it seems the big squads take so many casulties on HE hits that the split thing is probably still good. I'm not happy about that because I already have too much plotting to do :-/
There is a Global drop as well, not sure if you are saying there isn't, however its effects aren't really discernible until the sub 40% range I have found.

Another 'quirk' as you noted is the increased probability of larger squads to take casualties from any sort of fire as compared to smaller squads, which can be very annoying at times. No doubt the increased micromanagement of splitting an infantry battalion is a liability!! :eek:

Ron

[ May 10, 2002, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Ron ]

Originally posted by Ron:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

[qb]The global morale drop is only indirect.

That isn't entirely correct. Yes, YOU see the change in Victory level when splitting and rejoining squads, but your opponent doesn't. Unless that is factored in once your opponent spots them? I haven't seen that anyways...</font>

Not sure what you tested redwolf but setting up a hotseat game shows just what I said, your opponent doesn't see any change in victory levels when splitting squads. The only thing I am unsure of is what happens when those split squads have been spotted, ie if that is factored into the 'known' victory levels at the time.

Ron