Any tips on assaulting bunkers?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Popper:

I like to smoke the front of them and rush up until I'm out of their fire arc. After that, the tac ai takes care of the rest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smoke good... smoke very good. Unfortuantly, I took it that he had no smoke.

mad.gif

Cav

PS When using smoke, timing is everything! I had smoked a bunker and just as my three squads arrived on scene, to the sides and behind th ebunker, the smoke cleared and my men were raped by flanking MG bunkers, broke and then FLED back to the start off points BACK in front of the bunker they just assulted! eek.gif

Not pretty.

------------------

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

--Bertrand Russell

"God is always with the strongest battalions."

--Frederick the Great

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

--Benjamin Franklin, 1759

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the Axis--an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business."

--D. W. Brogan, The American Character

Basic infantry can take out bunkers with grenades. The trick is getting them to the sides or rear of the bunker to work their magic. I have found that splitting your squads will help when confronted by MGs (bunkered or otherwise)in relatively open areas, since in CM they can only target one unit at a time (the TacAI will not 'area fire' when presented with a threat).

Smoke never hurts, either.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

I had occasion to take out an AT pillbox with infantry last night. I had two squads behind the pillbox, within 10 meters or so, for several turns. They'd occasionally throw a grenade, but the pillbox stayed alive. I moved up a PIAT and got a rear door penetration, and figured that should make things easier, but several more turns elapsed. Finally, I moved the two squads right up next to the pillbox (I mean 1-2 meters away; to do this I had to turn off the pillbox display using ctrl-V and move the squads to the end of their targeting lines) and they knocked it out the next turn. So based on this one experience, I recommend getting a close as possible.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley