help in installing cmmos and other mods

well i'm no expert, and it sure would be nice if there was a shortcut. maybe somebody here knows one. but i'll explain how i did it. i downloaded all the files. first i installed the core cmmos 3.02 program, then each ruleset. then came the tedious task of unzipping each mod into the bmp folder. hell, i'm still not through! but man, when you get all the stuff in there, it works neater than shi-oe polish. you just click on what mods you want to play with and it's there the next time you play.

i'd like to thank those responsible for making this program available. you've done a great service to all of us!

Yup, that's the basics of it. There's a readme file that comes with CMMOS that explains it's use, and many mods include a readme file that details the specifics of each mod. To make the installation of the BMP files from the mods easier, there's also "CM Mod Manager" (available from CM:HQ) which handles a lot of the grunge work of unzipping and copying BMPs.

Gordon

• 2 months later...

Still alittle confused about CMMOS.

I am installing fresh with no previouse mods.

Do I need to install the Patches_hr ?

Do I need to install some "old" mod to get all of the options, and then the Patches?

If I installed "all" the files listed under CMMOS at combatmission.com is that everything?

I realize nobody cares, but maybe you could answer the question I had in the previouse post anyway?

With all the CMMOS mods installed, the only choices that work for an M4 are the two camo schemes. What am I missing? What else is missing? Where do I find it? :confused:

Otime,

We care. We care deeply, otherwise we wouldn't put all the effort we do into it. It's just that we're very, very busy lately and didn't see your post.

There are a few old-style batch mods that are lurking around the net that still require that the "patch mod" (either hi or low res) be installed, and there are a few CMMOS mods that lived on various servers that are not accounted for that we're trying to track down and add to the CM:HQ site.

Please bear in mind that the CMMOS mod community in particular, and the overall CM:BO mod community are at best a loosely organized group of fanatical, anarchist volunteers, so the railroads will never run as well as they did under Mussolini, so to speak.

Regarding your camo Shermans working, but nothing else, if you've verified that at least one mod works properly, then 99.99% of the time CMMOS itself is properly installed, and the solution ususally involves fixing a problem with the installation of the mods themselves. Were all the mods that you downloaded unzipped into the CM:BO BMP folder? Please try applying another option for a different vehicle or terrain and then e-mail a copy of the CMMOS log file "CMMOSLog.txt" from within the CMMOS installation folder to "gordonemolek@earthlink.net" and I'll take a look to see what the problem is.

Also, just to be sure, are you exiting/re-entering the game after each attempt at changing a mod? This is necessary because CM:BO needs to reload the graphics textures for the change to be visible.

Gordon

[ July 31, 2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Gordon ]

As we're on the subject of installing CMMOS. I haven't been able to install it at all. When I double click on the .exe file I see an unpacking animation but then it disappears and nothing comes back. When I look at the W2000 task manager I see a ntvdm.exe process taking 99% of the CPU effort - this continues indefinitely and I have to end the process manually. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the CMMOS installation looks in the windows registry for CM so if the CM directory is moved after CM installation it goes belly up. I did uninstall/reinstall CM and tried CMMOS again but had the same problem. Any advice appreciated.

Joe

Originally posted by Neutral Party:

As we're on the subject of installing CMMOS. I haven't been able to install it at all. When I double click on the .exe file I see an unpacking animation but then it disappears and nothing comes back. When I look at the W2000 task manager I see a ntvdm.exe process taking 99% of the CPU effort - this continues indefinitely and I have to end the process manually. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the CMMOS installation looks in the windows registry for CM so if the CM directory is moved after CM installation it goes belly up. I did uninstall/reinstall CM and tried CMMOS again but had the same problem. Any advice appreciated.

Joe

Not sure if Gordon will be able to pass by again any time soon, so here goes...

As far as I know the installation process should work, so we have to identify some unexpected anomaly. That means, unfortunately, describing this whole operation in a painfully literal way. If this does not turn up a problem, then CMMOS 3.02 might have gotten corrupted when you were downloading it (it happens), so you should throw it out and try downloading all over again. It's not that big a file and won't take very long.

I will assume that you are starting from scratch. Turn your computer off. Wait a few minutes. Turn it back on again. Wait a few more minutes. You have CMBO in a folder with a path very similar to C:\Program Files\CMBO (in other words you aren't confusing the program by keeping CMBO in some weird place). You do not have a Gem Software Productions folder. You make a temporary folder for the occasion with nothing in it, and have downloaded the latest version of CMMOS 3.02 from the CMMOS section of CMHQ into this folder (one of the older test versions that never got officially posted produced results somewhat similar to what you are describing on my machine -- not that you would have a pirate copy of CMMOS, or anything like that). You do not use any kind of shell program for any part of this process -- you are doing everything manually. You have as many things turned off as possible before you start trying to unzip or run anything (i.e. go into Task Manager and shut down anything that isn't absolutely necessary for your computer to run). You don't try to specify any particular path if the program asks you if an installation path is ok (this is tedious for me too...I'm trying to define plain vanilla). Oh, and I'm assuming that you aren't trying to do this on a 100 MHz Pentium I...

If, after all that, you still can't get CMMOS 3.02 to install (and which version of CMBO do you have, by the way), then what you probably need to do is send Gordon an e-mail.

Having said all of that, if there were any glitches that are causing what you are describing, it should have turned up in testing, and I'm surprised that more people haven't mentioned it. So my guess is that you probably have some kind of basic configuration conflict that is causing the problem. If you don't, Gordon will have to get involved.

So for the next step, before we drag him into this (this is purely selfish on my part -- I need him to look at some work that I'm doing, and he is very short on time right now), could you describe in explicit detail exactly what it is that you are doing ? My sense is that you aren't doing anything unusual, but now is the time to ask...

Ok, I've consulted with my ace Windows guy, and this sounds like it's a contention issue between the InstallShield installation process and something else that's running on your system. They're both probably trying to access the windows TEMP folder and not playing nicely so that a deadlock occurs.

Try shutting down all non-essential processes on your system before installing CMMOS. This includes all the crap in your system tray and any other background tasks that the task manager shows as running (especially shutdown any virus scanner software). Hopefully that will clear up the issue.

Please let me know if that clears up your problem or not.

Thanks,

Gordon

Phillipe and Gordon Thank you both very much for getting back on this one. Phillipe you mentioned the possibility of CMBO being in a weird place. Well how weird is this D:\CMBO ? Maybe I should try uninstalling and reinstalling in the default location C:\Program Files\CMBO. I'll do this and let you know what happens.

As to the rest of the points raised - the machine is a PIII 600MHz laptop (Compaq 1800), I dled CMMOS from Combat Mission HQ and it is v3.02.001, CMBO is original BTS version patched to v1.12.

Let me try the above and I'll get back.

Joe

Well I tried a clean reinstall to C:\Program Files\CMBO but had exactly the same problem with CMMOS. I also tried extracting the CMMOS file to a directory and running setup.exe - same problem. FYI I am running Windows 2000 Professional v 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2 Build 2195.

Joe

Well I tried a clean reinstall to C:\Program Files\CMBO but had exactly the same problem with CMMOS. I also tried extracting the CMMOS file to a directory and running setup.exe - same problem. FYI I am running Windows 2000 Professional v 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2 Build 2195.

Joe

But you don't mention if you also tried shutting down as many background/taskbar processes as possible in order to reduce contention for the Windows TEMP folder (and also shut down any virus scanners).

Thanks,

Gordon

Let me add a couple of other thingssomething else as Gordon's "Windoze" guy.

This install was tested on Windows 2000 Pro SP 2. So it does work on Win2K, just not on your computer for some reason. I would definately look at the items Gordon mentioned and see if this gets rid of your problem. If not, we'll go from there and see what we can do.

Keith

Gordon and Sitzkreig thanks again. I did remove all background/taskbar processes and virus scanners and it still bombed. However I'm now pretty sure it's something to do with my setup. I've just had a very similar problem trying to install SiSoft SANDRA which is also from a zip archive so I think you're right that it's related to access of the TEMP directory. I have only recently changed OS to W2K (previously was 98SE) and am not yet familiar with its foibles. Once I get my new desktop in a couple of weeks I'm going to nuke the laptop, get rid of the split partition and clean install the OS - probably XP.

Joe

Gordon and Sitzkreig thanks again. I did remove all background/taskbar processes and virus scanners and it still bombed. However I'm now pretty sure it's something to do with my setup. I've just had a very similar problem trying to install SiSoft SANDRA which is also from a zip archive so I think you're right that it's related to access of the TEMP directory. I have only recently changed OS to W2K (previously was 98SE) and am not yet familiar with its foibles. Once I get my new desktop in a couple of weeks I'm going to nuke the laptop, get rid of the split partition and clean install the OS - probably XP.

Joe

Joe,

Please keep us posted, as I'm (obviously) very curious to see how it turns out.

Gordon

Originally posted by Philippe:

I can't speak with any technical authority, but trying to do this on a laptop may be the problem.

It's not so much the laptop as the drivers for the laptop. They can sometimes be a bit more touchy.

Neutral Party, you might want to look at getting the latest drivers for your hard drive/IDE controller and motherboard chipset if you haven't done so already. Like the Via 4-in-1's. These drivers would probably come from your laptop's manufacturer or the component's manufacturer (like Intel for the motherboard or Seagate for the hard drive).

XP might be a good move as it might have more driver support out of the box for your laptop. It might also have less driver support since it is a newer OS. Some manufacturer's really lag on drivers for a new OS. Also, XP is based on NT like Windows 2000 so the problem might still persist in that regard.

Not trying to negative. Just a couple of things to consider because of the world according to Bill. ;)

Keith