Great Game but need some help

Hi folks,

Finally picked the game up recently after reading so much about it and am very happy I did. This game is great and I like to see all the nationalities that are involved. However, I noticed that frequently the tanks run into eachother and through buildings/trees/infantry. Is there a fix for this?

Also, I have downloaded CMOS and have modded the game up but I find that I still get summer camo in winter on many of my tanks, despite loading the winter mods. I also, have loaded the Canadian Mods but find that only the Firefly takes the markings while the other shermans still show the old camo and markings of UK armour. Any help explaining what I did wrong would be appreciated.

I am looking forward to Barbarossa to Berlin being released and AfrikaCorps looks great. Home Battlefront.com gets the support to keep on creating these great games. Thanks....

Welcome, Mike!

Chances are, your "Tanks running into each other and through buildings" is due to the unit size you have set.

There are 4 different sizes at which you can view your units in the game, ranging from 1 (realistic size) to 4 (considerably larger than reality, especially at range). You can toggle through the various unit size displays using SHIFT+C. Most players keep the unit size setting at at least 2 most of the time because otherwise it can be really difficult to find units in all the clutter.

Anyway, when the unit size is set to anything larger than 1, especially vehicles will sometime overlap with each other, buildings, etc. Setting the unit size back to 1 eliminates 95% of this.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the trees, and to a certain extent other terrain features you see on your screen aren't literal locations of individual trees as far as the game engine is concerned - they're just there as eye candy to make the game look better. As such, it it quite possible to see a tank or other vehicle move 'through' a tree. This is merely a weakness of the graphical engine and something we all have to live with for now. Representing trees as actual 3D objects would put a huge load on the processor and make all but the most powerful computers shudder.

The other possibility is that you have tanks actually running into buildings, woods, and each other while moving. This is another one of the weaknesses of the current game engine - it's pretty 'dumb' when it comes to pathfinding and collsion avoidance. In order to avoid this problem, take care to keep at least 20-30m between moving vehicles. The 'delay' command can also be useful to keep some space between moving vehicles. It also helps to look at the vehicle's speed and horsepower ratings in the info screen and keep these in mind when plotting orders. If you put a Jeep behind a Sherman moving down a road, sooner or later the faster jeep is going to run into the rear end of that Sherman. . .

Finally, it is usually wise to keep vehicles in general at least 5m or so away from 'impassable' terrain like woods, broken ground, etc. Otherwise, it is very easy to accidently have part of the movement path pass briefly over the impassible terrain. Theoretically, the TacAI is supposed to be able to deal with this and plot a path around the obstacle, but practically speaking it often fudges the job and comes up with some ridiculous movement path that puts the vehicle ass-first to the enemy or something like that.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Mike66:

I am looking forward to Barbarossa to Berlin being released and AfrikaCorps looks great. Home Battlefront.com gets the support to keep on creating these great games. Thanks....

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Kiss your social life goodbye and send the wife/gf packing.

Regarding Berlin to Barbarossa its already been released for quite some time, albeit AfricaCorps is still being worked on.

Where is the CmBorg when you need him??

Jev

Hi Guys...thanks for your replies. In regards to BB I meant retail. I already have reserved my copy. Afrika Corps though looks very nice and I may have to order it on-line. Using the Canuck Buck now is not as painful as it once was. But customs tags on quite the penalty for ordering on-line. The games are a blast.

Can either of you help me with regards to the Mods. I can't seem to get the Commonwealth tanks to be winter in winter or any of the others (other than Stuart...). I am screwing something up so if you know of a site that explains how to do things I would appreciate it (I have been to CMHQ to download the CMOS). Have fun a play safe... smile.gif

mike

In regards to one of the original posters questions about clipping.

Even at 'normal' size the AFV's will clip each other and buildings about half way it seems.

Their is no fix(unless you just dont clutter them togeother)and just presume its an abstraction of sorts... ;)

Dammit, just read YD's fourth or fifth paragraph...

[ August 02, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Major Jerkov ]