Just in Time for the Weekend

Well, you're ready for the weekend. And if you haven't grown weary of CM (highly doubtful! - wink.gif), I've put up my first operation since the CD for public consumption.

Since this is a destroy operation, you should not be bothered with premature endings...unless you get your butt creamed.

Pretty good fight. Thanks to the testers who worked hard on this one. Bill Valencia was a big help.

You can find it now at CMHQ - Scenario Depot.

http://combathq.thegamers.net

If you haven't grabbed "A Second Job" and "Relieving the Rangers" and want some good hard fights, put them in your CM shopping cart too.

I'll meet you at the cash register biggrin.gif

Here is a little historical background for you.

-------------------

Title: Herrilsheim - Cut Off!

Type: Destroy Type Operation

Date: Jan 17-18, 1945

Weather: Overcast

Terrain: Light Snow

Author: Wild Bill Wilder

Wild Bill's Raiders

billw@matrixgames.com

Designer Notes: You can read the Scenario Description with no fear of the scenario being spoiled for you. It is simply a background on the battle being simulated in this operation.

Scenario Description:

The second phase of Germany's strong counterattack against the Allies in the winter of 44-45 began on January 1st, 1945. With the Seventh Army stretched to the limit in the southern end of the line, Hitler's forces crossed the Rhine and threatened both flanks of the American VI Corps.

It would be the task of the 12th Armored Division, newly arrived in Europe to breach the salient and drive the Germans back. The fighting centered just west of the Rhine River around the town of Herrilsheim.

On January 17th, units of Combat Commands A and B moved into and through the town. The 43rd Tank Battalion took the lead and moved east of Herrilsheim towards the great river. Reports from its commander, Colonel Dovosel, indicated heavy fighting. Then all contact was lost.

The next day, the 23rd Tank Battalion with armored infantry crossed the Landgraben River and braved the fire of the Steinwald, a wooded area to the south in an attempt to get through Herrilsheim and find what might be left of the 43rd. The only evidence of the American tank battalion were a series of burned out hulks from both sides. About 10 American Shermans were drawn up in a circle, in a last stand sort of stance.

Later Colonel Dovosel and some of his men were discovered to be prisoners of war. They had made a last ditch stand against advancing German panzers till all hope was lost. Repeatedly wounded and with no tank with which to fight, Dovosel and what remained of his battalion were forced to surrender.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Go to CMHQ, click on Scenario Depot on left hand side menu, and it should be fairly near the top of the list.

It is not in the scenario section peculiar to CMHQ, but it is in the depot.

http://combathq.thegamers.net/depot.html

Just click here and it should take you right to it...WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

It is not in the scenario section peculiar to CMHQ, but it is in the depot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there any reason why the CM scenarios at Thegamers web site are located in at least two different places? This can be confusing to people who don't go there all the time, and it has stumped me a couple of times. Is there any reason why the scenario locations can't at least refer to each other? I believe that yours DOES point to the other site, but not the other way around? confused.gif

Henri

I understand Henri. Our site is designed for helping with editor problems and scenario design.

Naturally, since we are already known as a source for scenarios, I feel that I should offer new scenarios whenever I can so that folks will not be disappointed.

Now as to why I'm pointing and the other one is not, only the head of that site can answer that one for you.

You have a valid point...Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com

Thanks Wild Bill....just dl'ed them and look forward to playing these. BTW...played "Ramelle...Saving Private Ryan" scenario this weekend and it was a blast. Nice job on that one and had some furious and heroic action by certain units. Was definitely a pleasure to play as a fun scenario.

Keep up the good work.

Ghost

Thanks so much Ghost. That is what it was intended to be, and a memory jogger of one of the finest war films ever to be produced.

Every time I play it (and I still do) I want to pull out the video cassette and watch it again.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

billw@matrixgames.com