THE Introductory Eastern Front Book

I know, I know, "Who's got time to read now?". But there were about a million threads about reading before the demo was bestowed upon us, and I'm sure there are a few curious souls.

I've been on an Eastern Front binge since Spring. Read both Erickson's, a bunch of Glantz, and no less than a half-dozen others.

For those looking for a fine overview with brisk writing, purty pictures and reasonable price, I am compelled to recommend OSTFRONT, Hitler's War on Russia 1941-45 by Charles Winchester. ISBN 1-84176-066-8.

This is a decidedly non-grog effort, so those of you who quibble with this tome can stifle it ;) It's not perfect. However, Winchester's notes are thorough and his bibliography is excellent. He incorporates the more incisive theories espoused by Glantz and Zaloga, which lifts the level of discussion above many of the other general histories in the area. And he relies on Werth for compelling personal accounts.

It is published by Osprey, which means it contains extensive material from their Men at War and Campaign series, particularly color plates of uniforms and equipment.

If you are looking for the first thing to read for background on the Eastern Front, get this book.

[ September 05, 2002, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: RobVarak ]