Open ground offensive tactics

How do you go about advancing infantry across about 100m of open ground zeroed in by everything from rocket spotters to MGs to mortars to infantry guns? The only way I know of is pound every possible hiding place in LOS with HE, then hope everybody is too dead and/or freaked out and/or suppressed to shoot at the infantry carefully conserving energy with MOVE on the 1o-minute walk! Hows that for a run-on sentence?

answer#1:actually, if you are ordered to advance a field when you know motars, artillery and MGs are waiting for you in an ambush position, would you still advance ?

answer#2: smoke the likely LOS source positions. and make a dash across the fields.

answer#2: smoke the likely LOS source positions. and make a dash across the fields.

I smoke the entire $# front. I like one big wall of smoke when I advance. Russian 76mm does this very nicly.

...or attack at night in a snow storm and be sure to bring lots of flame throwers. :D

Advance 100m in the open against an unsurpressed enemy? This is a trick question of some kind?

Better just sit tight, hit the "Ceasefire" key and hope your opponent does the same.

The patch won't help you for diddly.

On a more productive note, there's got to be another way.

Originally posted by xerxes:

Advance 100m in the open against an unsurpressed enemy? This is a trick question of some kind?

[snips]

Indeed. I can imagine the senior staff officers in the campaign I've just joined adding these items to their forthcoming Combat Regulations:

1. The art of tactics consists largely in not attempting to move over open ground that is under fire from rockets, artillery, mortars, mechine-guns, etc.

2. Junior officers who incur large losses by attempting to move, &c., will not have them replaced.

:D

All the best,

John.