Tank Rider Penalty?

Actually, shouldn't the tanks that have tank-riders have some sort of penalty of either not being able to rotate their turrets or only doing so on a very limited arc?

Pictures I've seen of Soviet tank riders have them all over the tank like on the sides, holding onto handles located on the side of the tank turret as well as on the rear deck. Shouldn't this affect how far a tank turret can rotate since doing so would knock some men off the tank?

Possible Spoilers . . .

Playing Danube Blues (it ROCKS!)

I've got a platoon of SMG russkies mounted on T34/85's and they are moving FAST through town in a cunning and brilliant (at the same time!) out-flanking maneuver. All of the tanks have covered arcs whilst on the move. Sometimes the turrets turn fully 90 degrees and beyond (in an effort to cover their arc) as the tanks careen around corners on thier way to the objective. The tank turret and barrel does this funny trick of plowing through the passengers on the back.

I guess it pays to remind oneself that the squad graphics are "abstractions" of an acutal squad. (Although I could see the assitant squad leader get knocked flying, in my minds eye.) smile.gif

Doesn't really bother me. But is sure is fun to lock the camera to one of the tanks ripping through town with SMGr's on the back, twisting and turning as she goes. Whipping that turret around at each corner to cover the threat arc. FUN FUN FUN!!!

smile.gif

Gpig

I think I have discovered an interesting tactic (used against me). Infantry riding on a tank can help spot for the tank when the tank has to button up. (read "Borg spotting"). Of course infantry won't stay on the tank when under fire but it could be critical in those split-second tank duels.

Just a comment...but a tank should have trouble traversing with infantry riding on it....or so one would think.

-Sarge

Originally posted by Sarge Saunders:

Just a comment...but a tank should have trouble traversing with infantry riding on it....or so one would think.

Why? A motor built to move a turret weighing multiple tons is scarcely going to notice the slight resistance of a human body, assuming that the said human body lacked the awareness to get out of the way in the first place. The other thing is that most turrets didn't exactly whip around at a great pace anyway.

Michael

A quote from 'Soviet Infanrty tactics in WW2" by C. Sharp:

"[speaking of the SMG squad] the 8-man unit had one overwhelming advantage: 8 men was the number that could ride onto the turret of a T-34 medium tank without obstructing the guns or sights"

Maybe the turret had not the largest freedom of movement possible, but I presume that, during the attack, and working in cooperation with trained desantniki, the tank was more or less free to operate its weapons as usual.

Probably the same was not true while carrying more people or hauling some infantry to the next stop.

As a side note the old "East Front" game from TS prohibited fire from the tanks that were carrying riders.

Regards,

Amedeo

Originally posted by Amedeo:

A quote from 'Soviet Infanrty tactics in WW2" by C. Sharp:

"[speaking of the SMG squad] the 8-man unit had one overwhelming advantage: 8 men was the number that could ride onto the turret of a T-34 medium tank without obstructing the guns or sights"

Of all the photographs I've see of tanks with riders, I can't recall having seen many with riders on the turrets. There isn't enough room and they would be too exposed. Almost always they ride on the rear deck, where they receive some protection from the turret and also where it is much warmer (a nice feature in the winter; not so nice in the summer).

I've also seen photos of tanks with up to a couple dozen riders draped all over the bloody thing, but I seriously doubt they were anywhere near enemy units. They were not in the Red Army either.

Michael

Originally posted by Sarge Saunders:

I think I have discovered an interesting tactic (used against me). Infantry riding on a tank can help spot for the tank when the tank has to button up. (read "Borg spotting"). Of course infantry won't stay on the tank when under fire but it could be critical in those split-second tank duels.

-Sarge

This actually was the case during the War. Soviet tankers mentioned that many times, the tank riders would spot targets and tell teh tank commander where they were. CMBB mirrors life, I guess

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sarge Saunders:

Why? A motor built to move a turret weighing multiple tons is scarcely going to notice the slight resistance of a human body, assuming that the said human body lacked the awareness to get out of the way in the first place. The other thing is that most turrets didn't exactly whip around at a great pace anyway.

Michael</font>

Originally posted by Amedeo:

Maybe the turret had not the largest freedom of movement possible, but I presume that, during the attack, and working in cooperation with trained desantniki, the tank was more or less free to operate its weapons as usual.

what about trained pekhotintsi? I'd hope the straight-legs would have the ability too. smile.gif