Recommendations for visiting Kubinka

I know that this is not quite the right home for this forum question, but I thought I would start here and discuss it with the real Red Army grogs. I'm sure that one of the BFC folks will assist me and eventually move the message to the General Forum....

Here is the question-

I am traveling to Moscow next February for a vacation, and while I have been able to arrange visits to the Kremlin and the Mueseum of the Red Army (or whatever it is called now), the travel company does not know how to get me to Kubinka.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any advice for arranging access to Kubinka. Also, I know it is relatively close to Moscow, but how close, and what is the best way to get there (or are there dedicated tour services connected with the site that can get me from Moscow to Kubinka).

Thanks for your help.

[ November 08, 2002, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Zitadelle ]

Originally posted by Zitadelle:

I know that this is not quite the right home for this forum question, but I thought I would start here and discuss it with the real Red Army grogs. I'm sure that one of the BFC folks will assist me and eventually move the message to the General Forum....

Here is the question-

I am traveling to Moscow next February for a vacation, and while I have been able to arrange visits to the Kremlin and the Mueseum of the Red Army (or whatever it is called now), the travel company does not know how to get me to Kubinka.

So, I am wondering if anyone has any advice for arranging access to Kubinka. Also, I know it is relatively close to Moscow, but how close, and what is the best way to get there (or are there dedicated tour services connected with the site that can get me from Moscow to Kubinka).

Thanks for your help.[/quote

Kubinka is on a working military post, which makes it difficult to get in to see the vehicles. However, St. Petersburg Travel regularly sends tours there and they might be able to give you a hand getting in.

Here's their website:

http://www.trips2russia.com/grouptol1.html

These guys are real pros - I went on their tour just over a year ago and I can't recommend them highly enough.

They can either send you on their normal chartered tour of Russian military sites (which I went on) or can assist you in going anyplace you might be interested in seeing.

Let me know how it goes!

M.Mao

Wow, I hope you can get in. Do you have a digital camera?

I know this is a real stretch, but if you would be willing to take a bunch of pictures and panorama and 3D shots, I might be willing to loan you a digital camera with a wide angle lens to take pictures. As many as they allow. I took nearly 3000 over a 4 day stretch at Aberdeen.

I have a 2 year old boy and a 3 week old baby boy and I just don't see me getting to Moscow for another 20 yrs or so.

If you take a look at some 3D panoramas and QuickTIme VR Object movies I took from Aberdeed, you'll see what I'm hoping for.

360 degree pans

VR Objects

I'd be more than happy to teach you how to take the pictures, the 360 degree panoramas really would help people get a feel of scale between different vehicles and for the museum. The 3D objects are just cool because you can look at the same vehicle from different angles.

Please let me know, I would love to see the museum and I'm afraid I'll have to do it through someone else.

Please let me know if you're interested, I'd do all the stitching and 3D work for free.

you can contact me at scott@karchfamily.com

I was in Moscow last June, and the only thing stopping me from getting to Kubinka was getting one of my Russian friends to take me there. I saw the VVS museum at Monino - a working VVS base - and had no trouble at all. The problem is Kubinka is about 60kms west of Moscow - a drive out of the city for sure, and one that usually requires more planning than just jumping in one of the buses or taxis. Monino is only 10km away from Moscow, if memory serves me.

I'll see what my friends in Moscow can tell me, and get back to you if they have anything worth passing on.

Thanks for the replies from anyone. This is probably a one-time only chance to visit Kubinka (and the Moscow region in general); so I am trying to maximize my chances of getting into the site and visiting the various tanks (including the Karl and Maus).

Karch wrote:

Wow, I hope you can get in. Do you have a digital camera?
I do not have a digital camera- just a normal old fashion film camera. I have been thinking about purchasing one for this trip, but I still need to reach some conclusion (an additional $300 purchase plus training time on the thing may not be too easy- especially with RL intervention). Although, if you have any advice on digital cameras feel free to let me know- including purchases, models, or using the thing.

Grisha wrote:

I saw the VVS museum at Monino....

I don't remember hearing anything about this site. Where can I find additional information about the site- what is it, how do I access it, what is there? If Kubinka were to fall through, I could perhaps go here instead.

I'll see what my friends in Moscow can tell me, and get back to you if they have anything worth passing on.
Thanks. Any additional information will always be helpful. And, if any of them would like to act as a tour guide for an 'Merican with a strong interest in USSR/Russia I would appreciate the local contact and I could probably make their time worthwhile (feel free to provide them with contact information).

I will let everyone know how this trip is coming together. I know one member of this forum has provided images from Kubinka. If this trip works out, I guess I should work at also providing my input.

I bought a Minolta Dimage X digital camera this summer for a trip to Ethiopia and was very happy with it. Very small and thin, 3X zoom lense, movie mode, battery recharges in an hour. I found it quite easy to use and the picture quality has been very good. Once you get used to being able to view your photos immediately after taking them, you'll never go back to film.