37mm anti tank guns

Originally posted by Bastables:

15 May 1941, Operation Brevity. I. II/Panzer Regt 5 meets up with Heavy Cruiser tanks (Mark II) of 2nd and 4th R.T.R. Major Hohmann taking losses requests 8,8cm support then orders a retrograde action.

“At 2045 hr, Unsummoned I reported in person to the Division command post and repeated that Mark II tanks had been spotted and that a breakthrough against these tanks could not be achieved…. From previous encounters at Tobruk and today’s fight, the appearance of the Mark II Tanks was known to me only too well. Maybe the repeated questions from the division commander were based on the fact that he had never seen a Mark II." (1998 Jentz)

Major Hohmann was so unhinged by the Maltildas apperence that he later mis-Identified 2nd R.T.R Cruiser tanks on patrol and refused to attack.

But...

But.....

I thought the Germans won the war? They had this cool machinegun, and I figured that would pretty much do it.

-dale

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

History more commonly records that it was the British who suffered the rebuff in both Brevity and Battleax.

Michael

Must be why Major Hohmann was Court Martialled. After all we all know the thing that really stopped the Germans running amok was lack of fuel and not some worthless pre war designed British tanks [all 9 of them].

The Matilda was such a terrible tank that the Germans in their later successful attempt to take Halfaya pass in Unternehmen Skorpion had to deploy all three abteilung to contain and destroy a single Mk IIA. Sqn. While ending up with only 26 operational Panzers at the end of it. A signal German victory considering it took an entire Pz Korps to push a British Brigade out of Halfaya.

Originally posted by dalem:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bastables:

15 May 1941, Operation Brevity. I. II/Panzer Regt 5 meets up with Heavy Cruiser tanks (Mark II) of 2nd and 4th R.T.R. Major Hohmann taking losses requests 8,8cm support then orders a retrograde action.

“At 2045 hr, Unsummoned I reported in person to the Division command post and repeated that Mark II tanks had been spotted and that a breakthrough against these tanks could not be achieved…. From previous encounters at Tobruk and today’s fight, the appearance of the Mark II Tanks was known to me only too well. Maybe the repeated questions from the division commander were based on the fact that he had never seen a Mark II." (1998 Jentz)

Major Hohmann was so unhinged by the Maltildas apperence that he later mis-Identified 2nd R.T.R Cruiser tanks on patrol and refused to attack.

But...

But.....

I thought the Germans won the war? They had this cool machinegun, and I figured that would pretty much do it.

-dale</font>