Possible - hm... a bug?

In my recent quickbattle against AI my spotter was credited with 2 gun kills, but after the battle ended there was only one enemy gun on the battlefield. How come? I know you can see less credited kills because of fog of war, but more??? I have file saved if you want to examine this, Matt.

Is it possible that it killed one of your own guns with friendly fire? They kill screen doesn't differentiate b/w friendly and un-friendly fire.

I once got 38 confirmed *friendly* infantry casualties when an 8" spotting round landed on 3 squads, 1 .50cal HMG, and 2 HQ units. It was a D-Day scenario, and the round landed on the beach; the Germans had no leg-troops nearby.

The spotter (sort of) redeemed himself later on...killing 4 MG42 teams and keeping hope alive after I had taken about 85% casualties crossing the beach under the un-neighborly gaze of too many murder holes.

Was the game ended by cease-fire, surrender or auto-surrender ??

I've encountered ~somefink~ similar in two of my games:

1) A 4,2inch FO was credited with a Panther kill, but the enemy Panther was still alive when the game was ended by a cease-fire.

pantherkill.jpg

2) A 251/1 was chasing an enemy mortar, but the opponent auto-surrendered before a kill could be achieved. When looking at the AAR screen, the 251/1 got the credit for the kill.

I think I have a possible explanation for this bug:

"Abnormal" game ends like cease-fires, surrenders or auto-surrenders are resolved AFTER the next game turn (including kills) is calculated, but BEFORE that movie is displayed. Would mean that those surplus kills are kills that were calculated to happen within the next 60 seconds.

For my examples from above this might be true: The FO was executing a barrage on the location of the Panther and the 251/1 was aiming its MG at the mortar.

Maybe Steve, Charles or Madmatt could give you some help ?

Marcus

[ February 16, 2002, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: mike8g ]