How do you handle SET UP

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Ozzy , you got that rght. You have to get your smokes and suds lined up for an evening of TCP/IP... it's just a must have. Though sometimes, I'm sure I'd be better off with a pot of coffee to tell the truth! ;)

No, I am tank machine - I need fuel and I exhaust smoke, and sometimes I spit fire... :D

The coffee is for maintenance and repair after the battle ;)

Personally, I prefer my opponent to have a few pints of beer BEFORE setting up. While you're at it, have several during the game - there will be a lot less complaints about the borg sighting if you can't see the screen. After CMBB comes out, I would suggest using Vodka - It should help simulate the Russian command and control issues quite nicely.

I'll take whatever breaks are on offer. :D

Originally posted by Caesar:

Personally, I prefer my opponent to have a few pints of beer BEFORE setting up. While you're at it, have several during the game - there will be a lot less complaints about the borg sighting if you can't see the screen. After CMBB comes out, I would suggest using Vodka - It should help simulate the Russian command and control issues quite nicely.

I'll take whatever breaks are on offer. :D

I cannot recommend Vodka - it could make you as German to fire on your own men :eek:

Well, and after the 10th beer or so, the borg SIGHTING disappears, but, dude, I can hear them SINGING in my brain :eek:

• 1 month later...

Defensive setup:

1. Ignore the flags. Kill the enemy and you win. Playing for flags unnecessarily complicates the whole situation to the detriment of play.

2. Figure out where the enemy tank forces will advance and set up defences to cover those areas.

3. Deploy infantry in front of your AT defences to shield them from enemy infantry probes.

4. Set up FOs to fire on the enemy forming up and firebase positions directly in front of your infantry screen.

5. Place reserve in cover from where it can move quickly to influence the battle to the flanks with ease.

Of course the above is just how I do it. Others differ.

[ May 27, 2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Fionn ]

Not trying to hijack the thread... I think this is related.

For you IP gamers (only games I play) what do you set your time limits to?

I really enjoy the panic of wanting to take in the turn and get my men keeping going the right direction without leaving someone out standing in a field without a move. We try for 3-5minutes for 1500 pointers... more for longer. My friend and I keep the time tight and always allow a pause if needed.

Does ANYONE dig-in their armor ever? I have never found a situation in which the trade off was worth it.

As for the set-up experience, I would recommend a visit with Dr. Green (if you are so inclined). One word of warning however, hours may pass before a coherent plan emerges...

I always set my infantry up first. In a 2000 point game i have around two companies. I place these on or near my flags in defensive terrain. Next I put my support weapons (tanks, pillboxes,guns) on hills to provide an "arc of death" Finally i place my MG's all around to support my infantry.

I prefer tanks to guns just because they can reflect shots at them while guns obviously can't.

P.S. I have my infantry hide when they are on the defense to have a nice knife fight with the enemy.

[ May 27, 2002, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: Sir Augustus ]