heavy building* ???

Hi, Webs. Nice to see you in these parts.

An single asterisk (*) means that the building (heavy or light) has suffered light to moderate damage. A double asterisk (**) means that it has suffered heavy damage and might collapse with another hit or two. In other words, if you have any troops therein, and you are attached to their continued well-being, it's time for them to perform a time-honored military maneuver known as the bug out.

Michael

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Also, when the building reaches ** during the turn because of enemy fire, your men inside will run out at that point to prevent from being squashed.

Really? I never noticed that. Could it have anything to do with their experience or morale levels?

Michael

Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

Hey Webs. I used to play WarBirds quite a bit. Another tip concerning damaged buildings:

Troops on the ground floor usually receive less damage than troops on the upper floor if they are inside when the building collapses.

What if it's only one floor?

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Also, when the building reaches ** during the turn because of enemy fire, your men inside will run out at that point to prevent from being squashed.

Really? I never noticed that. Could it have anything to do with their experience or morale levels?

Michael</font>

Forgot to add that it also depends on wether a building is light or heavy, the heavy ones give you more time to get out. Many a time this feature has saved my men from being destroyed because otherwise you would have to wait until your next orders turn to try and get them out. The AI takes care of this quite nicely, as soon as the second asterisk appears the men inside will immediately (Depending on their status) try and exit the buildings. MG42's or HMG's tend to be a bit slow.....and often don't make it out in time. This is similar to what happens when a building goes up in flame, the occupants will immediately try to vacate.....hopefully not into the direct fire of enemy troops ;)

CDIC

Have you ever seen guys SNEAKING out of a double asterisk building?! Man, THAT is cool!! :cool:

I played the following scenario: August 44, day, clear, dry. Terrain: gully with narrow creek, dividing the map in two parts, 200 m open ground then woods at each side of the creek. Two bridges. Enemy has 4 Sherman V and 1 Firefly plus 4 UC on the Eastern bank, and is expected to have 1 Coy inf on the Western bank. His objective is to cross the inf., my objective is to deny that. Close to one bridge on the western bank a small settlement with small stone buildings, walls, brush and scattered trees.

I place my forces there to ambush his inf. - OK, rather predictable, but due to the open ground in my setup zone I have not much choice.

My force is a Crack platoon 100% and a Vet platoon 66% plus some HW and a 75mm spotter. The crack guys in the buildings.

Opponent understands the importance of the buildings and starts demolishing them with his unbuttoned tanks.

I could not believe my eyes as I saw EVERY Crack unit SNEAKING out of the **-buildings to take cover in the scattered trees besides WITHOUT a single casualty and WITHOUT being spotted! :eek:

After all buildings demolished enemy believed the way open for his inf., but the poor guys were made piecemeal by a force of half the strength. Fortunately, enemy fired smoke on the bridge to cover his men. My 2 only Schrecks use the cover to slip through and kill 2 Sherman and 3 UC :D

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Boo_Radley:

Hey Webs. I used to play WarBirds quite a bit. Another tip concerning damaged buildings:

Troops on the ground floor usually receive less damage than troops on the upper floor if they are inside when the building collapses.

What if it's only one floor?

Michael</font>

Opponent understands the importance of the buildings and starts demolishing them with his unbuttoned tanks.

I could not believe my eyes as I saw EVERY Crack unit SNEAKING out of the **-buildings to take cover in the scattered trees besides WITHOUT a single casualty and WITHOUT being spotted!

How the heck did they have time to SNEAK out of there before the building collapsed?