Taking Bridges?

Covering fire is essential. Work up close to the bridge. Run one or two platoons across, with the rest of your men pinning down the enemy. Try using smoke on the bridge to keep the enemy from shooting so much.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Anything on the other side of the bridge that has been identified as enemy should have at least a MG and a rifle squad or two firing at it. And your men should be moving forward into an artillery barrage that you stop only before the final rush, a chance of a shell landing on the bridge is very limited, but if you want to be safe, you can fire in the rear areas. And as a rule of thumb, don't do it at night (operations only), the bridge will still be open enough that your men can be spotted despite their best efforts, and you no longer can call on firendly fire support.

Arty smoke the hell out of it. End your crossing with moves into maneuver friendly cover if possible. Dead end cover is just that when the smoke clears, a dead end. Make your crossing as quick as possible. Don't get caught dawdling on a bridge in the open.

Hope any of this helps even a little.

------------------

Clubfoot.

melton1911@aol.com

Do it in the desert at www.dfdr.net

Actually, Im designing a scenario right now that has a rather well defended little bridge in it.

A British assault force needs to take the bridge and defend its bridgehead in the face of a vicious german counter attack. Reinforcements come in on both sides.

A real tough scrap.

If you are interested, email me at the address in my profile and Ill send it to you.

First things first. Kill anything that's on the other side of the bridge with inf/armor and artillery. Drop the rest of your artillery as smoke. When the bridge is good and smoked up send at LEAST a platoon over at once. Try to send those troops over before the smoke stops falling.

Just remember, if that smoke clears and your on the bridge YOUR DEAD!

------------------

"I don't need my junkie friends all knockin' at my door. I just wanna do an old time waltz with a buxom Irish whore!"

-Shane MacGowan

[This message has been edited by Head Mahone (edited 03-27-2001).]

Originally posted by citizen:

Brigadier General Gavin: "What's the best way to take a bridge?"

Major Julian Cook: "Both ends at once."

-A Bridge Too Far-

Can't say I personally recommend a river crossing in assault boats, however.

Matt

This is a very good tactic if it's possible in the particular battle.

Best case scenario would be to do a river crossing at night as far away from the bridge as the map allows. Then the next morning attack from both sides.

It really varies from battle to battle. But screening your movements (i.e. smoke) is a must.