close assault on an AFV

coe

Ok, so it is night, there's a buttoned up

T-34. It's immobile, and its turret is facing

forward.

So I send a half squad running at it from the

side, at about 40 meters it is detected and cut

down.

Then I send another half squad from the rear (the turret is facing forward again). Note the

to the rear of the T-34 is scattered trees.

This squad too is detected and cut down at about 40 meters

The T-34 is what got them both (not anyone else). Any suggestions on close assault?

How close do you need to direct your squads to the point where they will use their hand grenade bundles, sticky mines, etc. with reasonable accuracy (or even place a teller mine in the tracks)?

Conan

If there are infantry supporting the T-34 (even if they didn't get the kill or even fire), it will be MUCH harder to do a close assault. This is because, while tanks have blind spots (manual gives some description of this), "borg" spotting gives the vehicle a better chance to notice the incoming infantry than it "should" have.

I've successfully close-assaulted a small number of AFVs, but never when there was infantry around (unless the AFV drives right next to the close assaulting unit on its own).

[Edit]

Regarding distance, well when I close assault with infantry, other than German tank hunters, I try to get as close as possible. The "follow" command is pretty handy here (see page 77 of the manual).

[ October 12, 2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

Also by your description of the action (I sent a squad running - they were cut down at 40 meters) I think you are making a basic tactical mistake.

DO NOT approach a tank which can still fire accross open ground long distances by running (without smoke at least). Use advance - any command other than run which makes you too obvious and easy to spot - and take your time, with distances like that it can take 4-5 turns to get close enough to a tank to do a succesful assault.

Personally, if the tank is out in the open, this isn't even really a job for infantry - if the tank were 10 meters away from the edge of a forest or a building it might be. Use a vehicle of your own to finish it off if possible with a shot from behind.

Also, since it's night, just bypass the tank if possible. LOS probably extends 100-140 meters? Just don't give him any targets and stay away from the area. You might be surprised and the crew might abandon all by themselves - crews don't like being in immobilised vehicles for any period of time.

coe,

One thought came to mind and that is half-squads are easier to "cut down" than full squads. Full squads have a greater opportunity due to their numbers to get off a shot or two before the worst can happen.

I say do it with full squads (if possible) and not half squads.