Mud

Help! I keep driving my tanks into mud and getting bogged down. I can't see the mud on the map to avoid it. Anybody know how to see/know where the mud is and avoid it?

Or is this a random chance event when driving on all non-road terrain and there is always some chance of getting stuck?

Thanks,

Rob C.

------------------

"Freedom is not a right. It is a privilege bought and paid for with the blood of patriots." Robert A. Heinlein in Starship Troopers

From what I remember from other discussions, you have hit it right...a chance depending on the conditions as set up by the scenario designer- the chances of getting stuck are magnified while trying to move vehicles through light woods, when it is wet or muddy, too.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RobC:

Or is this a random chance event when driving on all non-road terrain and there is always some chance of getting stuck?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the scenario weather conditions - if it says wet, there is a chance that your tank will get bogged down if you move off the street. It will then try and get free again. If the status changes to immobilise, you have to wait for a towing truck. Not in the game, b/c that is outside the scope of CM. If a tank gets bogged down, i can take a couple of turns for it to get free. It will then continue on its last order. This can be a problem if the situation has changed and you don't want it to go to point A anymore, so it is advisable to cancel movement orders once it gets bogged down.

------------------

Andreas

Is canceling orders a catch 22 deal? If you don't give it orders it will stop trying. Being bogged and with no orders, it won't take orders. It would be nice to be able to change orders to back up or hunt forward just a little.

I just watched a stug sitting in one place as if bogged. I figured, oh boy, now I can get on his flank and do him in. But he just sat in place rotating to face threats as they arose in different places. I can't simularly make a sherman do the same.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bobbaro:

Is canceling orders a catch 22 deal? If you don't give it orders it will stop trying. Being bogged and with no orders, it won't take orders. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about this. I think when it is immobilzed it does no longer take movement orders. But just to make sure, when it is bogged, just give it a short movement order, that won't have it driving to somewhere dangerous.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Scott Clinton

In the demo bogged vehicles can not take movement orders.

This is a 'bug' that has been addressed in the patch according to BTS.

Immobilized vehicles have no need for move orders, of course. wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

In the demo bogged vehicles can not take movement orders.

This is a 'bug' that has been addressed in the patch according to BTS.

Immobilized vehicles have no need for move orders, of course.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Scott, that one excaped me.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Imperator

The solution is to always leave your vehicles in their starting positions, especially when playing against me. smile.gif

Seriously, if the weather isn't clear and dry, avoid unnecessay driving. When you want to move a tank from one bound to another and it isn't under heavy risk of enemy fire, move it along a path that will place it in a hull-down position as much as possible. That way, if it gets bogged in a hull down position, it will still be able to face the enemy. (I don't think it would count as a true hull down position because the side armor, weaker than the front armor, is facing the enemy.) Keep on roads when driving long distances, unless you're moving to contact, in which case a column of vehicles is rather like a column of burning vehicles.

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Sorry Scott, that one excaped me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

confused.gif

No problem! That is what this board is for. biggrin.gif

But Imperator is right. Just wait until we play a few of the 'Bulge' scenarios. I can only imagine whats its like to try to move heavy German tanks, in the Ardennes, in deep snow, with the roads all blocked or ambushed by US Airborne troops! eek.gif

wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 06-19-2000).]

Yes, ground pressure plays a great role in determining who will drive happily across the mud, and who will sink to the tops of their roadwheels.

Also, <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is canceling orders a catch 22 deal? If you don't give it orders it will stop trying. Being bogged and with no orders, it won't take orders. It would be nice to be able to change orders to back up or hunt forward just a little. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BOGGED vehicles will try to get unstuck, REGARDLESS of curren movement orders (or lack thereof) If you're really worried that the vehicle will come unstuck 10 seconds into a turn movie, and then proceed on outdated movement paths, simply eliminate most of its waypoints during orders, or continually skew them according to the tactical situation. That way, when the vehicle comes unstuck, it will at least be moving semi-correctly, rather than sitting still after getting unstuck for the remainder of the turn.

DjB