Arty and movement...

Anyone have any tips for combining an arty attack with an infantry advance..or any advance for that matter. I have found that even though my spotters have a clear line of sigt to the target, that when the FO comes through, it's still woefully inaccurate at times.

While this is realistic, it just chaps my nads when I blow up alot of my own guys! frown.gif

I can't seem to get an advance going to time it even close as to when my guys arrive at destination and the arty stops falling.

I have been practicing, but just inquiring if there are some techniques that other use that seem to have any success.

Thanks in advance for any help.

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a Hero is some type of sandwich!

I think it is realistic and it's good like that. Try to first arty your opponent, them lay a smoke cover and infantry-rush his positions. Worked quite well for me as allied(although these damn fanatic Security squads have incredible close combat power...)

------------------

Ron

No pain, no game!

read my response to the question on the Pause command in this forum (tips and techniques). I gave an example of how to time an infantry assault to come in right after the arty stops.

Also, do some experiments in DYO scenarios to learn about arty patterns with and without LOS and different types of gun. There's a difference, and if you know the rough pattern you cna avoid shorts. Try different quality observers (haven't tried this myself).

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 07-17-2000).]

Chrisl,

Thanks for the tip. Never thought of the ol' crawl function to wait until the end. I was just having them pause for 45 seconds..then start their run. Also, I only glanced through the posts for the last 10 days, and breezed right over that one. I should have searched first. Sorry.

Also, you said "a nice predictable pattern" referring to when the spotter has an los. That's part of my problem. It doesn't appear to be a nice predictable pattern. Even with a clear LOS with the spotter, rounds are still falling at times, woefully inaccurate. Here's a thought, does the weather affect it even though it's a clear LOS??

Anyway, thanks again for tip, I'll be trying that out tonight when I get home. Hurry up and end work...please!! smile.gif

GI Tom

------------------

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of wierd sandwich.

Guest Germanboy

Even very well prepared advances behind an arty barrage kept at least 100 yards behind, b/c of 'shorts'. So there is your solution, keep your lads at least 100 yards from the target, unless you can get your FOO to work at a right angle to the advancing troops.

------------------

Andreas

Keep in mind that danger close for 155s is at least about 600 yards which is bigger than many CM maps. So you assume the risk for any troops you move within that danger close radius while firing artillery.

That being said I believe that most people are using their artillery (judging from what I see and hear around here)to excess. When supressing a position you only need one or two minutes tops of whirlwind arty fire on a position to start the suppression going. Your attack force should have supporting units (basically all your MGs and mortars) set up and ready to open up on those positions the artillery is hitting the moment you lift or shift fire. Third make use of that mortar smoke to help your attackers stay alive. Forth, if you are bent on keeping up the artillery then transition form the heavies 105mm-14" to lighter (81mm moratr and under) as your guys get closer since these rounds have a smaller danger close radius. These should be alternatives to trying to shave things too close with a few extra rounds of heavy arty that risks killing your own guys.

Los

P.s. there is a how to attack article, which goes hand in hand with the Grafenwohr training scenario on MadMatt's Combat Mission HQ under the article section.