Artillery and weather

Read through the posts on CMBB and randomized arty drops out of LOS. What about in LOS and in snow? Does weather play a part in determining where rounds hit? i.e. bad weather = reduced visual registry of rounds landing properly?

I just had a conscript 81mm mortar drop 1 turn of shells on my advance/ recce element. Definitely not a good thing.

Did I miss something...bug or new game mechanics?

Snow will affect artilery in so far as it affect LOS - that's implicit in LOS-based artilery spotting!

Is that the answer you're after? If so you already knew it - if not I've no idea what your question is.

It's not clear from your post exactly what you are asking, but I will take a stab at an answer and you can tell me if it's what you are looking for.

Anything that reduces LOS reduces the range at which an FO can spot for arty. That much should be implicit. If an FO calls for arty on a location he can't see, there is a very high likelihood that the salvo will drift some distance—possibly a considerable distance—in a random direction from the designated point of impact. That may be the reason why it fell on your troops.

HTH

Michael

[ October 30, 2002, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Sorry the original post was a bit vague, it was late when I wrote it and I was trying to keep it short. Perhaps too short.

My concern was that my Coy HQ had semi-decent LOS to target (dull blue, not bright). But when 81mm arty arrived it had "drifted" 100+ meters into my forward position. Precision was excellent(nice grouping) but accuracy left much to be desired ( I hate bombing my own troops). Similiar issue on my right flank as 105's drifted farther to the right, even off map. But in the latter case, the FO would pause and re-target to get closer to targetted area. At least, I assumed he was pausing to correct as status window alternated between the "countdown" and "firing". Arty did seem to get closer to target after each pause.

What color was the target line (not the LOS line but the line to the target after you press the T hotkey? If it was blue, that means that it was unspotted regardless of what the LOS line might say, although normally I would expect the two of them to agree.

BTW, the countdown does not mean that the FO is correcting fire. The program does that between all salvos.

Michael

Originally posted by mike the wino:

Oh, damnit. 2 feckin years and I just now find out that HQ's don't provide LOS for FO's. WTF.

LOL. Well, live and learn I always say.

That's it I am going home and drinking heavily...wait I was gonna do that anyways.
Bottoms up! No, wait...that's what I said to my girlfriend last night.

Thanks Michael.
No problem. Glad we got this worked out. It was puzzling there for a while.

smile.gif

Michael