Testers wanted--new scenario "Downtown"

I've been playing around with the scenario editor and have actually come up with something decent (finally)! It's so far proven to be a pretty brutal urban combat scenario set in the waning days of the war.

It's entirely fictional, US vs Waffen-SS, with a few Volkssturm sprinkled in, just for fun. I've tested it a few times against the AI, and it's been pretty hairy from either perspective. :D

The map is mostly urban buildings and streets, with a canal, a few bridges, and a leafy green city park, and a train station, among other things. I've tried to make it look as much like a German city as possible, and I think overall it looks pretty darn good.

Anyone care to give it a try? I can e-mail it to any interested playtesters.

NOW that was a fun scenario!

Killed all of the Allies, and halted their advance..but it wasnt the most challenging of scenarios...all you had to do was cover the bridges and the roads from them, and it was pretty easy....but still fun..VERY fun..cool map to, really good with the mods..

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fieldmarshall:

NOW that was a fun scenario!

Killed all of the Allies, and halted their advance..but it wasnt the most challenging of scenarios...all you had to do was cover the bridges and the roads from them, and it was pretty easy....but still fun..VERY fun..cool map to, really good with the mods..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you liked it. Try playing it as the allies--it gets a little more challenging, especially when giving the AI a bonus. Any constructive criticism is appreciated, as it's far from a final build.

smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

plz gimme!

russellmz@yahoo.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nice scenario! i like the park area, although i'd tone down the number of labels.

----------------SPOILERS---------------

i saw one exit where my stuarts would go out nearby. i figure, what a place for a trap. so i put all my stuarts together so if anything popped out there would be 5 37mm shooting. i figured this would take out anything below a panther...

well after wasting the bunker, m ittle tanks wiped the floor with most of the volk. except for one who got popped by a conscript shreck in the third or second shot. above 100m. color me stupid.(this hapens twice more: my green zook wastes a panzer iv and another volk conscript takse out one of my reinforcing shermans...)

anyway, i carefully send out my stuarts and shermans. they get into a fight with mark ivs that start coming out of the opening in front of the park. shermans, stuarts, and panzers trade shots and in a few violent minutes only 2 stuarts live. one panzer iv tries to do a flanking manuever but luckily is wasted by a stuart before it does any damage (my squad with a rifle grenade, and my 2 green zooks nearby hiding in a building take shots but missed). eventually i'm down to 2 stuarts(one gun damamged) but all the panzer ivs are dead, but i don't know that at the time. i hide them behind the house in the park. i get a lot of infantry across but the most of the mmgs and mortars are on the wrong side. i decide to let them stay there since i have no idea if they can cross with those tanks.

on the other side of town, which i had been pretty much ignoring, i send in the company hq to act as platoon leader and send the platoon leader ahead as a sacrificial lamb scout. it goes very far without incident and i stop at when it hears some inf. i march some infantry and tanks over the left bridge.

as i move up my tanks start shooting at infantry in building way the hell down the street. i eventually move everything up until the croc can flame them. after im done, there are 4 buildings on fire and 32 or 3 buildings reduced to rubble. a stack of corpses (er, eliminated squad markers) can be seen. croc + 100m range = fun

i make a right turn and head toward that nice upraised cross wall thing (demark?). my tanks and inf go slowly, inf in the lead. stupid, my croc gets whacked by a german squad that entered a building after my inf left. the only one in the area not on fire or full of ameris.

anyway tanks keep shooting and my troops get to the end of the block where they meet mr. 20mm and mr. flamer. CRAP. i send my tanks up and withdraw the troops to the back of the building. i decide to let the halftracks roll up into my sights and not expose my tanks to flame and side shots with a rapid fire cannon. it works: the 20mm ht goes forward and a sherman takes it out: one shot.

the tanks let go with cannon and mmg fire at the buildings with enemy troops beyond the church, which my guys took after heavy fighting and low ammo. since by now i haven't seen any tanks i figure it's safe to move my stuarts out and send the inf forward: so the ermans are getting it in front and to the side. i pretty much punch through by the end.

i stupidly foget to leave a guy at each of the bridges, so i lose 3 small flags as "?". i get 3 big flags, and the one way the hell in back of the city is still in german hands.

I like the different experience levels for all the troops. too often a scenario has either regular and vet only. you got a lot of variety, which i like(and also do in my scenarios smile.gif )

fun scenario, nice city design too.

bravo!

nice scenario! i like the park area, although i'd tone down the number of labels.

----------------SPOILERS---------------

i saw one exit where my stuarts would go out nearby. i figure, what a place for a trap. so i put all my stuarts together so if anything popped out there would be 5 37mm shooting. i figured this would take out anything below a panther...

well after wasting the bunker, m ittle tanks wiped the floor with most of the volk. except for one who got popped by a conscript shreck in the third or second shot. above 100m. color me stupid.(this hapens twice more: my green zook wastes a panzer iv and another volk conscript takse out one of my reinforcing shermans...)

anyway, i carefully send out my stuarts and shermans. they get into a fight with mark ivs that start coming out of the opening in front of the park. shermans, stuarts, and panzers trade shots and in a few violent minutes only 2 stuarts live. one panzer iv tries to do a flanking manuever but luckily is wasted by a stuart before it does any damage (my squad with a rifle grenade, and my 2 green zooks nearby hiding in a building take shots but missed). eventually i'm down to 2 stuarts(one gun damamged) but all the panzer ivs are dead, but i don't know that at the time. i hide them behind the house in the park. i get a lot of infantry across but the most of the mmgs and mortars are on the wrong side. i decide to let them stay there since i have no idea if they can cross with those tanks.

on the other side of town, which i had been pretty much ignoring, i send in the company hq to act as platoon leader and send the platoon leader ahead as a sacrificial lamb scout. it goes very far without incident and i stop at when it hears some inf. i march some infantry and tanks over the left bridge.

as i move up my tanks start shooting at infantry in building way the hell down the street. i eventually move everything up until the croc can flame them. after im done, there are 4 buildings on fire and 32 or 3 buildings reduced to rubble. a stack of corpses (er, eliminated squad markers) can be seen. croc + 100m range = fun

i make a right turn and head toward that nice upraised cross wall thing (demark?). my tanks and inf go slowly, inf in the lead. stupid, my croc gets whacked by a german squad that entered a building after my inf left. the only one in the area not on fire or full of ameris.

anyway tanks keep shooting and my troops get to the end of the block where they meet mr. 20mm and mr. flamer. CRAP. i send my tanks up and withdraw the troops to the back of the building. i decide to let the halftracks roll up into my sights and not expose my tanks to flame and side shots with a rapid fire cannon. it works: the 20mm ht goes forward and a sherman takes it out: one shot.

the tanks let go with cannon and mmg fire at the buildings with enemy troops beyond the church, which my guys took after heavy fighting and low ammo. since by now i haven't seen any tanks i figure it's safe to move my stuarts out and send the inf forward: so the ermans are getting it in front and to the side. i pretty much punch through by the end.

i stupidly foget to leave a guy at each of the bridges, so i lose 3 small flags as "?". i get 3 big flags, and the one way the hell in back of the city is still in german hands.

I like the different experience levels for all the troops. too often a scenario has either regular and vet only. you got a lot of variety, which i like(and also do in my scenarios smile.gif )

fun scenario, nice city design too.

bravo!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! I tried to make most of the troops green to begin with, except the Volkssturm, who are only there to get whacked immediately anyhow.

Did you play the battle with the default settings or did you give the krauts some extra troops? I toyed with the idea of changing the PzIVs to Panthers, but that seems kind of evil. :D

i left the german forces intact but gave them a +1 bonus. if you do change the panzer ivs, i recommend making only 1 or 2 panthers. although it was humorous to have stuarts take out more panzer ivs than the shermans, no german or us tank survived excpet 2 stuarts, one gun damaged! a real gunfight...

i left the german forces intact but gave them a +1 bonus. if you do change the panzer ivs, i recommend making only 1 or 2 panthers. although it was humorous to have stuarts take out more panzer ivs than the shermans, no german or us tank survived excpet 2 stuarts, one gun damaged! a real gunfight...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. Maybe I'll try that. My Stuarts got hosed pretty quickly. Maybe I'll make them M8 Greyhounds instead...

Spoiler Alert!

The idea is to fake out the player by having him encounter the Volkksturm first, and then to have the Waffen-SS slowly filter into the town. The exit zones serve to permit the AI to move a bit more speedily. I might change the rate and time of German reinforcements, as well as alter the armor on both sides.

The idea was to fool the