Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Will 1.02 CMBB fix graphical issues?

No. 1.02 will not address any graphical issues unique to certain video drivers - on the PC or the Mac. These problems are due to the video driver code - not CMBB's code. These problems show up in CM because of the combination/sequence of 3D API calls that are made - combinations of which can be unique to every game ever written. These problems aren't signs of bad coding by the game developers (though sometimes this is the case), but more often that the video driver developers can't accomodate every graphical possibility.

NVidia cycles back and forth between fixing problems and increasing performance or offering new features. Often when new features or increased performance is offered things get broken. Such is the case with a number of the 4x.xx drivers.

There are also problems on the Mac with some of the latest ATI chipsets and the current drivers that are available. 1.02 will not fix these problems either. The problem lies with ATI and their support of 16-bit color RAVE apps - something that ATI isn't concentrating on at the moment (the color depth or the API).

Unfortunately it is a case of waiting for the video driver developers to play catch up with the games on the market and the current bugs in their drivers. In the case of NVidia there are several development teams working on different 'tracks'. So each higher numbered release isn't exactly related to the one that numerically precedes it.

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight. I remember Nvidia changing their drivers in the past that caused problems with CMBO then issuing new drivers which fixed the problem and then the same problem creeping back into CMBB with the 40 series. Hopefully Nvidia will get it right soon... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MRoadster:

Hopefully Nvidia will get it right soon... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't hold your breath. I've tried all the leaked drivers up to 42.8x, and there's no sign that the FSAA issue is fixed in them.

NVIDIAs more critical problem is that seem to have the habit of re-introducing problems which are fixed in previous versions. They've done this both for Windows and Linux. It might be related to the status of the 2x.xx and 3x.xx code trees than 4x.xx was forked, but nevertheless it's rather irritating.

Originally posted by jiggles:

It might be related to the status of the 2x.xx and 3x.xx code trees than 4x.xx was forked, but nevertheless it's rather irritating.

Totally agree with the irritations caused by Nvidia. I appreciate the performance gains made by the new drivers but the old "bugs" creeping back in are a royal pain. I don't want to undo the Windows XP patch which causes the Alt-Tab function to show a black screen in CMBB. So I can't fix the missing text issue with AA on. I'm left with the "jaggies" for now until Nvidia gets it right.