Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Missing vgartd.vxd-file Win 98-SE

I was trying to Driver Cleaner 2.0 from Maxium PC

disk came with an issue-it suppose to get rid of

old display drivers-like nvidia detonator remover,well it did and now I can go to this screen which states in Black&White;

Cannot find a device file that may needed to run windows application.

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this file,but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated file or setup program.

If you still want to use this application associated with this device file,try rienstalling that application to replace the missing file.

vgartd.vxd press any key to continue

Well I press any key and nothing so I press reset

button then I got chioces for safe mode,safe mode with network suppor-etc-well I try the safe mode with network support and when it boots into safe mose I try putting in Win-98Se disk cd-rom doesn't

read it-I try the Windows-98SE boot disk it does what suppose to do but I don't know enough to type what like / this to get it going-in safe mode I can go to floppy but not cd-rom how can I reinstall this driver or file.

Google search http://www.google.com/search?q=vgartd.vxd&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N

:mad: Heeeelp Me...... :(

It has been a while since I have worked with Windows98SE. From what I rember, from "Safe Mode" you have at least two options.

1. Run File system checker. To do this from "File System Information" => "tools"=>"Files system Checker" Hopefully it will notice that this file is missing and will ask you to restore it. Put the Windows 98SE in the CD drive.

2. The other approach from "Safe Mode", try updating the driver, again with the Windows 98SE CD in the CD drive. Another approach along this line is to use the Hardware Device manager to first remove the video card and then reinstall it.

3. If the Video Card is a retail card, you should have an install disk that could potentially be run in Safe Mode.

I'd try the solutions listed above first, which should get you the Microsoft GART driver.

If you know what chipset your motherboard has (Intel, VIA, SiS, ALi, etc.) you could download and install the chipset/AGP drivers that should be posted on the chipset manufacturer's website. After this you may need to remove and reinstall your video drivers (which occasionally come with GART drivers for the AGP bus).

You may want to download the ALi chipset drivers. Unfortunately the ALi website seems to need some work and you can't find their driver page. ASUS's TUA266 driver page will have to do for now. Download the file ali_v104.zip near the bottom, which is the ALi chipset drivers.

Installing these drivers should restore the necessary GART drivers, though I suggest going through the steps listed by srynas first since they should restore the Microsoft vgart.vxd driver that should get your system working normally.

• 2 weeks later...