Guns and infantry sounds

I observed that sometimes unspotted guns are temporarily identified as infantry ? or infantry sounds... I had the case with 40mm AA US guns or germans guns.

I wonder how the troops can make such a confusion ; the sound of a gun is clearly distinct and recognizable, and when the gun comes to shoot at your tanks from 1000m away, it is very clear that it is not infantry only.

Originally posted by Thin Red Line:

the sound of a gun is clearly distinct and recognizable,

Well, question is if the gun had already shot or not. If not, all you might hear is the crew (if the gun is stationary) and they could produce the same sound contact as infantry - even if I would prefer my gun crews not to talk at all or whisper only with the enemy close by.

I think the more FOW in these situations, the better. Mistaking a gun crew for infantry can be explained easily in real life, so let it be.

My favoite FOW sound mistake was in the Operation "Red Devils at Arnhem". In a night turn enemy armor was "heard" to be crossing the river two hundred meters or so downstream from the bridge. But how? Schwimmer Wagons? It made for a very tense turn because the Brits certainly were out of position to counter this move. Anyway it turned out to be a night time rush by the germans to get some units across the bridge. Explainable? Certainly! Night, no wind, large buildings and a very large bridge to reflect, distort and channel sounds.

So if your guys saw soldiers and reported them as infantry --- so what.

'Expect light resistance' --- Toad