Speaking of Bald Headed Megalomaniacs, Madmatt....

Originally posted by tools4fools:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ozzy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

is it Slowakei or Slowakien??

I know it is -slowakien in Tschechoslowakien, but as an individual word, it is usually Slowakei, isn't it?

it's Slowakei, just as it is Tschechoslowakei, not Tschechoslowakien... tongue.gif </font>

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recall asking about that last year, and the reply was that making something like Finns vs. Germans would require too much extra effort to make it in. But since then I have been absent from this forum for long. So if they have changed their minds, the happier smile.gif

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I believe the term in vogue at the time was British Empire, but we had risen above our colonial status thanks to the Statute of Westminster (and Vimy Ridge)...I think UK would still be better, though, no? The United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales? Or somefink?

I speak now not as an expert but simply because I cannot pass up an opportunity to mumble incoherently, but it seems to me that the term 'Britain' was still the term of choice within the Kingdom and the Commonwealth at the time of the war, and that in other nations it was even more common to refer to it, however improperly, as 'England'. It doesn't seem to me in my reading that the term 'United Kingdom', even though it had enjoyed some usage previously, really came to predominate until after the war. It does seem to provide some kind of psychic counter balance to the contraction and dissolution of the Empire following the war and the UK assuming its place among the United Nations.

Michael

OK the Grogs guide smile.gif .

Britain - England, Scotland, Wales, i.e the big island.

Great Britain - The above plus offshore islands.

United Kingdom - All of the above plus Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Isles.

British Isles (geographic term only) Britain, Ireland and all the offshore bits, including the Isle of Man, but not the Channel Isles.

Confused yet?

The term 'British' and Britain or Great Britain are often used here, in everyday language, to mean the whole UK. A bit like referring to the USA as America, but in reverse smile.gif . The BBC (not UKBC smile.gif ) will often refer to the British Government or British forces. Sometimes people will say England when they mean Britain or the UK, but this is guarranteed to annoy the Scots and the Welsh. Until recently the use of 'UK' in everyday language was mainly confined to expatriates, it's become useful shorthand in the Internet age.

[ August 17, 2002, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Firefly ]