Must SPA have LOS to Ind. Fire? (Arrrrgh!)

Hey guys:

Well, I thought it would be cool to have a Hummel (150mm) and 250/7 (81mm Mtr) for support for an armor vs. armor quick battle.

So, I thought I would be able to call indirect fire on an enemy unit that is in the LOS of another friendly unit(s). The Hummel and 250/7 are out of the fray visually.

But, no joy. frown.gif Neither of these units has the artillery type commands when you right-click.

Is this strictly b/c I do not have a LOS with the SPA or SPMortar?

Can you buy a spotter without buying the attached off-map artillery to accomplish what I want to do ON-map?

Unless I am missing something, it seems the Hummel cannot fire indirectly w/o having a LOS to the target in question which puts it squarely in harm's way (ouch!).

I didn't see anything under On map artillery in the rules that mentions SPA.

Would appreciate a clarification.

Thanks,

Paul

[This message has been edited by Gromit (edited 06-23-2000).]

I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall another thread that mentioned that AFV's cannot use indirect fire. I believe it does require LOS. You could try having the SPA/SPMortar close enough behind a HQ unit, to see if they can spot for them (as you can do for mortars), but I don't believe they can.

Guest grunto

the Hummel was designed with the wespe to be a panzer division's mobile indirect battery.

asl says there were something like 6 wespes and 6 hummels in the artillery unit of a panzer division. they were typically used in batteries and would be represented in cm as offboard artillery. when you have one on the map you have to use direct fire. the germans tried to keep them out of direct fire but i think if you use the hummel in a direct fire role that if - and this is a big if - you get off any shots the weapon is devestating. you should find it to be more accurate than the 150 sIG found in vot. i believe though that it only carries 17 rounds of HE in the cm game.

so yes the hummel is not intended to be used in an indirect fire role in the scope of a cm scenario. it will do great direct fire in a pinch but was used as what would amount to offboard artillery in cm.

the 81mm halftrack should perhaps be able to fire indirect.

andy

I think it is not possible to use your SPA's for indirekt onboard fire at all.

You need a HQ unit to spot for them and, obviously, these vehicles can not be "HQed" in any way. I think a real master is needed to put them into effective use in a battle because of their vulnerability but it is also something of a challenge. Using the vehicles maneuverability to keep it's exposure time at a minimum ( for just one shot per turn) and employing hit and run tactics might help to keep them alive a bit longer.

I just can't wait to use that paper armoured thingies when the game is in my hands.

• 2 weeks later...