Hold on at Tourmauville *SPOILER*

I've been playing this addictive scenario a lot lately - it's outstanding! However, playing as the British, I find it hard to set up a good defensive position after crossing the bridge while clearing out the stubborn German defenders.

Anyone have any hints on this one?

thanks!

I haven't played that scenario, but have run in to similar circumstances. I tend to put arty on the enemies heavy guns. If they do not have any that I know about, I will drop the arty on the strongest defensive position of the enemy. A platoon of riflemen will lay down covering fire on other points in the German line while another platoon will run at the enemy as if fire is on their tails. If possible another platoon in reserve to flow through a weak point. If you have mortars, either smoke the flanks of your attack(ensuring not to block LOS of your units providing cover fire) or pound enemy positions you are charging toward. Remember timing...do not jump off the attack before the arty and mortars and covering fire starts. Use the pause. Of course I can only imagine what the terrain to your front looks like. Plan on using the enemy positions as your positions. If your charging platoon is successful, be prepared to move that reserve platoon in a big way. Red 6 out. tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by furryshark:

I've been playing this addictive scenario a lot lately - it's outstanding! However, playing as the British, I find it hard to set up a good defensive position after crossing the bridge while clearing out the stubborn German defenders.

Anyone have any hints on this one?

thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

I may have a few, as I designed it.

First of all, thanks for your kind words about the scenario. Its my first.

The German counter attacks are very vicious indeed, and will batter an exposed defender very hard.

SPOILER ALERT

One thing you could do is try a reverse slope defense on the high ground once you get your force across the bridge, and wipe out the first force of defenders.

Pretty much any German tank in this scenario can knock out any of the Allied armor, so the direct approach will mean high casualties.

In a close range belly-to-belly knife fight like this one, the allies have to make the most of their armor's advantages, fast turret speeds and higher Rate of Fire.

A closer range engangement will give you higher muzzle velocities as well which you can put to good use when the heavier stuff shows up, if you can get the flank shots...

The area around the brige is small, but there are a number of great spots for close range ambush.

You really have to hustle, though. If you don't make it across the bridge and smash the German defenders quick, you won't have much time to move your TDs tanks and troops across before the German reinforcements show up. Use your artillery and smoke to blast and blind the defenders and move fast.

Another thing to consider is that you have a couple "hitter" tanks showing up later - Fireflys with the very powerful 17-lb gun. There are some nice spots on the British side of the river where a Firefly can really nail the Germans as they close on the bridge.

If you can get your opponent (AI or Human) trying to react to two powerful threats, you should be able to take some profit from the confusion.

One thing to be very careful of if you choose to lure the Germans in close is that should you let a German tank or tanks take up a position where it can shoot at units crossing the bridge, you are really up the creek. Its going to be very hard to get anyone else across that exposed span...

Finally, you have a large number of Piats. These are very nasty from ambush as there is no giveaway launch plume.

I shall say no more..

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by furryshark:

Terence, thanks for the tips! I'll try to put them to good use.

I look forward to seeing some more scenarios from you in the future.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a couple cooking at the moment.

Please drop me a line and let me know how this one goes for you as you play.

I'm very open to feedback (worked as a journalist for 6 years so I take criticism well) and I like to hear any reaction at all.

The fact that I saw your first post with those really nice words just makes my day, to tell you the truth. smile.gif

all the best,