Weird MS Display problem

Just recently, my system started exhibiting some weird problems in MS Excel and IE5.5. I'm not sure if they're related, but they both started around the same time.

1. Excel usually works fine, but one spreadsheet will not display properly (other people can open it fine). The row labels and cell contents are blank - until you put the cursor in a cell, and then you can view the cell contents in the cell entry window.

2. IE doesn't display tables properly anymore. It looks like some kind of formatting error, where the cells are all squashed down vertically, practically on top of each other. I have a screen shot here of it: Screwed up formatting

It's been verified by other people as having loaded correctly for them. Can anyone tell me what in tarnation is happening? TIA!

(Possibly relevent) System specs: Win2K, Celeron 450, 256MB RAM, Matrox 400

Edit: Oh well... good to see you found the solution quickly.

Do you have problems with any other Excel spreadsheets ? Have you recently installed any drivers, updates or programs ? Have you run any antivirus programs against all of your files, just in case your Excel template (whatever-default spreadsheet format thingy) has been infected ?

Does the table appear OK in another browser ? For what it is worth the text in the left-hand column appears to be compressed into one line also. What program are you using to generate the webpage ? When others view the page, what browser are they using ?

For IE 5.5 (I'm actually look at IE 6.0, but it may be the same) on the menu > View > Text Size, what is it set to ? If you go to Tools > Internet Options > click on Restore Defaults; does this help ?

Are you running Service Pack 2 for Windows 2000 ? What version of Excel are you running and do you have it patched too ?

What version of the Matrox drivers do you have loaded up (5.72.021 is the latest and 5.82.014 is the latest Beta) ? Here's Matrox's Tech Support Forums, though I didn't see anything regarding Excel or IE on a very quick scan.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Edit: Oh well... good to see you found the solution quickly.

What version of the Matrox drivers do you have loaded up (5.72.021 is the latest and 5.82.014 is the latest Beta) ? Here's Matrox's Tech Support Forums, though I didn't see anything regarding Excel or IE on a very quick scan.

<hr></blockquote>

Yep, it was the drivers - should have been the first thing I checked! Thanks for the help.

Edit: Hehe...actually, it took me about a day to figure it out - it just so happened that the drivers issue dawned on me right after posting. Doh! Newbie error...

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Mannheim Tanker ]</p>