Bunkers from HELL. Will SU-152 help ? In CMBB ?

dima

Reading about Russian SU-152, the fact that its HE round was able to crush through up to 1 meter thick concrete wall, I wonder if this will bring an end to those undestructable concrete pillboxes.

And I didn't find references saying that PillBoxes had thicker walls. Anyone care to comment ?

Originally posted by dima:

Reading about Russian SU-152, the fact that its HE round was able to crush through up to 1 meter thick concrete wall, I wonder if this will bring an end to those undestructable concrete pillboxes.

And I didn't find references saying that PillBoxes had thicker walls. Anyone care to comment ?

The coastal type and Siegfried Line pillboxes frequently had 3 meter thick walls. In "Death Traps" Belton Cooper reported a direct hit by a 240mm artillery shell made a crater in the roof only a foot deep and 3 to 4 feet wide. At least the concussion must have wrought havoc with the troops inside. However SU-152s will indeed be a major problem for the much more common dug-out and log type bunkers, not to mention exposed personnel. Add in the fact it can crack a Panther open from 1500m makes it a formidable beast. Thankfully for the Germans it isn't too heavily armored, certainly nothing on the order of Ferdinand or Jagdtiger.

Hmm Ive played CC3 for a long time and it seems the King Tigers and Jag would hold their own against the SU-152. The 152mm gun doesn't have much velocity behind it. It seemed like the SU-122 could knock one out much easier. Don't know how accurate the modeling of the Tanks are in CC3? The SU-152 would take out buildings with short work and the 12.7 machine guns are not bad either. One thing, why would the Germans have bunkers? They blitz in the beginning and ran at the end? Seems like the Soviets had the bunkers?

There were masses of german bunkers at Velikiye Luki.In November 1942 The 3rd Shock Army had SU 122's assigned to them to help reduce them. It was a huge battle with at least 22,000 german casualties but the Stalingrad Rzhev operations overshadowed it.The battle had it all, beleagured garrisons,Pz2's n 38t's fighting Kv1'S, massed rocket batteries Luftwaffe Mountain SS Brandenburgers on T34's, snow, frozen rivers. Great scenario ideas abound