weather graphics problem

Originally posted by philwil:

I just installed CMBB 1.02 patch. Everything's fine and improved EXCEPT I've lost fog graphics. All other graphics are fine, and LOS is still limited by fog, but no fog appears, just a clear battlefield.

Everything was fine before the new patch.

phil

Err, what vid card?

KC

There is no 'fix' for the lack of fog on ATI products under DirectX. There are a number of threads about this in the forum.

Basically ATI doesn't support fog-tables or fog-table emulation (also known as 'particle fog'). ATI supports 'vertex fog' for fog effects in games written in DirectX. I highly doubt that ATI will change this situation at any point in the future. In fact NVidia may be following in their footsteps by dropping fog-table emulation with their latest GeForceFX series (though this is only rumored and not confirmed at this point).

BTS/BFC have used fog-tables to generate fog for CMBO, CMBB and CMAK. In the past fog-tables were more widely supported among the variety of videochips on the market. I've also seen samples that showed fog-tables looking much better than vertex fog. Now with the video chip market being primarily dominated by two chip manufacturers this issue becomes a bit more problematic with whatever course they decide to take.

ATI products on the Mac support fog-tables under RAVE - so it generally isn't an issue of the hardware itself being incapable of generating the effect, but instead of the drivers supporting this feature. I believe the choice for the support of fog-tables under DirectX has been oriented towards performance (with vertex fog being 'quicker' to generate with current hardware and drivers).

Perhaps BTS/BFC might be able to incorporate vertex fog for CMX2, which most likely will be using the OpenGL API on the Mac and quite possibly on the PC.

well, thanks for the detailed info, Schrull. Bloody annoying, though, to have invested hard-earned dosh in a new high-spec PC and find that my (near) top of the range vid card isn't up to scratch.

I hope that Bigtime and video card/driver manufacturers might take note of this issue for future developments.