Mines

Hi,

it´s still a bit unclear to me how mines and mineclearing works.

From what I´ve seen in the game the simple discovery, e.g. markers become visible, of AT mines will not prevent tanks from running into the minefield if ordered to do so. It´ll also not reduce the risk of getting immobilized if the movement path is close to the suspected minefield. It does not lead to some kind of threat awareness and specific behaviour on behalf of the TACAI.

Does anyone know if the same applies to infantry when encountering anti-personnel mines? E.g. if I order infantry to move in a corridor between discovered mine locations I still run the risk of someone getting blown up, injured, surpressed etc. - Right? The infantry themselves will not be "more careful" or whatever it takes to avoid the mines? The discovery of the mines means they are still dangerous and not only an obstacle?!?

Mine clearing: There seem to be three ways to clear mines. Put pioneers on top of the minefield and leave them there until the mines are gone. Secondly it seems it´s possible to give an attack order, to attack the mines. I´ve also seen bypassing pioneers throw satchel charges or hand grenades on minefields and blow them up.

Can anyone confirm that these are the only methods and if my observations are correct? Is attacking the minefield necessary or more effective? In the 21st Army operation I ordered pioneers to attack minefield markers which they did for some turns without any success while others dealt with mines without having specific orders to do so. Maybe the more obedient troops ran out of satchel charges but kept firing at the mines they can´t hur without being close enough for "manual" mineclearing.

Some tips on how to deal best with mines would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nolloff

[ October 22, 2002, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

In the same operation, I saw some pioneers (manually targeted) toss a single satchel charge at a targeted minefield, clearing it, while others (also manually targeted) tossed ALL their satchel charges/grenades/etc. AND fired their rifles, and DIDN'T clear it. I suspect the manual targeting of minefields is a bit buggy.

Originally posted by demoss:

In the same operation, I saw some pioneers (manually targeted) toss a single satchel charge at a targeted minefield, clearing it, while others (also manually targeted) tossed ALL their satchel charges/grenades/etc. AND fired their rifles, and DIDN'T clear it. I suspect the manual targeting of minefields is a bit buggy.

You don't manual target minefields with engineer squads, You just position your squad about 15 or 20 meters from the marker and the squad will automaticaly throw a satchel charge to clear the minefield or if its a daisy chain minefield it will disappear.