German AFVs - winter colour query

To try to get around some of the diversity because of earlier mod madness I tend to use mono for Geman AFVs in non-winter scenarios. For winter I adopt the whitewash versions for just about everything. Is this relaistic though? Would tanks, TDs, assault guns generally be marked up different to HTs, ACs etc, dependant on their role for the battle. I do, for instance, like the white/green panthers but they do look a little odd when everything else is whitewash.

Well, there are a lot of color schemes for German armor... I was reading a book last night at my friend's and there were quite a few different color schemes and "hasty" camo, done with limited supplies and/or time. One thing I did read about was that it seemed earlier in the war panzer grey was the underlying color but later the underlying color was yellow of some kind...

Doubt that helps much..

Far as I know,

in the early war years all vehicles were indeed painted grey,in 1942 SS units used a german green striping pattern over the grey.

Winterpattern was whitewashed over the grey

After 1943 the dark yellow came in service this was generally the basic paint

olive green and dark brown were supplied too.

crews had the liberty to paint any pattern they wanted.

in the last year of the war the old grey came back due to shortages of dark yellow

There's so many ways mods could be grouped but wouldn't it be useful if there was a 'full field grey set' and a 'full mono (yellow) set' and 'full tri-colour set'. problem is I suppose a lot of the mods are bundled so it would be hard to separate them, probably not the demand either.