Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Is it a video driver problem?

Have just rebuilt my pc, and due to the old video card falling apart i am now using a Tornado Geforce 2mx400 (2nd hand from a pal) which seem to be part of NVIDA Corporation ... the drivers used are those part of the windows 98 cd

I have installed CMAK and have had two windows pop displaying the following info:

Error Starting Program

The C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMBAT MISSION 3 AFRIKA KORPS\RUN\CM AFRIKA KORPS.EXE FILE appears to be corrupt, Reinstall the file and then try again

the second window tells:

C:\Program Files\Combat Mission 3 Afrika Korps\Run\CM Afrika Korps.exe

Windows cannot run this program because it is in an invalid format

I have reinstalled CMAK a 2nd time...but it changed nowt

whilst for CMBO, when starting the game up for a while the display flashes up several black screens of differing sizes and resolution then I get asked to accept a screen resolution (cannot remember further details) and then it all goes black...

i have since taken off both Antialiasing Settings and Anisotropic filtering..

any pointers where its all going wrong!

cheers..

rich

Are you running Windows 98 now ? Which video driver did you install ? I'm not aware of what may be on the Windows install CD (it's probably very old if it does exist).

When you install CMAK, do you have an anti-virus program/utility in the background (often noted with an icon in the System Tray in the lower right hand corner) ? Anti-virus programs can cause quite a bit of havoc when installing spftware, though I would have expected a problem to pop-up during the install.

The process you noted with CMBO (the resolution selection screens) should also happen with CMAK.

I suggest uninstalling CMAK, turning off any utilties running in the background and then re-attempting the install. However, if you're running Windows 98, then you may need to upgrade your DirectX version first. Windows 98SE comes with DirectX 6.1 if I recall correctly. Preferably you should download and install DirectX 9.0b (about 36Mb here with the 'redistributable').

If you're using Windows 98, then you may want to try the 56.64 driver from NVidia. I have no idea what your current version is, but this newer version may help with some other issues once you get the game running.

I am running windows 98

Have downloaded the new video driver..and did rmove the CMAK already installed, and then reinstalled, but had exactly the same problem.

I have the cdv version of CMAK, that contains direct 9.0 and i have installed that (but as above no joy) should i still down load the 9.0b as above ?

Could it be the problem that I dont have a sound card driver installed ?

The lack of a sound driver could prove a problem with the game, but I'm not sure what sort of error you would get (if any).

DirectX 9.0b is the latest version. I'm not absolutely sure what the CDV CDs have on them, but it most likely is this version. For most respects I don't think that there is a major difference between 9.0 and 9.0b and it shouldn't result in errors with CMAK.

Do you get any errors during the install ? If you do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, what is listed ? I can only guess that something is interfering with the install or the running of the program.