Symmetrical Scenario

Hi all,

Most people put lots of effort in designing realistic terrain to augment the realism of the game. I've gone the other direction (sacrilige!) and created a laterally symmetrical map so that each side has the same terrain advantages and disadvantages in a meeting engagement.

The northern half of the board gives good cover for close infantry contact. The southern half is rolling steppe for tank domination. Overseeing it all are four huge buildings on top of four hills. The players each have two hilltops as (limited) setup zones at the beginning, in addition to larger setup zones in the rear. Plus, changing the weather or visibility conditions, or altering troop selection, will give the map a completely different character.

I intend this map as a QB map so that players will have full freedom to alter troops and weather for repeat playability.

Any interest in such a map? If so, is there a site that collects scenarios that I might submit to? Anyone else done any symmetrical or otherwise artifical map layouts?

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen

Hi Doc.,

since I´m also doing this symetrical stuff , I would like to check out your new map and publish it at TCMHQ. If you like , send it to : tcmhq@nexgo.de

Cheers

Tom

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

Hi all,

Most people put lots of effort in designing realistic terrain to augment the realism of the game. I've gone the other direction (sacrilige!) and created a laterally symmetrical map so that each side has the same terrain advantages and disadvantages in a meeting engagement.

The northern half of the board gives good cover for close infantry contact. The southern half is rolling steppe for tank domination. Overseeing it all are four huge buildings on top of four hills. The players each have two hilltops as (limited) setup zones at the beginning, in addition to larger setup zones in the rear. Plus, changing the weather or visibility conditions, or altering troop selection, will give the map a completely different character.

I intend this map as a QB map so that players will have full freedom to alter troops and weather for repeat playability.

Any interest in such a map? If so, is there a site that collects scenarios that I might submit to? Anyone else done any symmetrical or otherwise artifical map layouts?

Thanks,

Dr. Rosenrosen

I also made such fictional map for ME QBs where both sides of the map are almost the same. I also included two T34 tanks on both sides that can be imported with the map (captured units are perfect for mirrored games). My map can be found from Scenario Depot under CMBB maps.

http://ns9.super-hosts.com/~dragonlair.net/combatmission/

It's called Crossroad Clash.

Also, created a (almost) symmetrical map awhile ago. Did this because I´ve tried to dig deeper into the "theory of scenario design" - what is good, bad, should be included and should not: what makes or breaks good scenarios.

All this in order to isolate certain elements of good and bad design.

Cheers,

Miikka

[ November 24, 2002, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Miikka ]