MAC vs PC versions? Q for the BTS demigods!

Ok, this is not a post to compare MAC vs PC in general. Everybody got that? Good, because if anybody starts rambling about that, I have included a Curse in this post which will make the fleas of a thousand camels infest their eregenous zones!

Ekkir hefer eg grautsottir!

Now, I am just curious about how you developed the two versions. Are the programming language directly portable from one platform to the other, or did you have to start from scratch? What about visuals and sound FX? Did you develop in tandem, or did you do one system completely first?

This is of course not very important in any way and I understad completely if you don't have time to answer this. It's just another way to pass a few minutes while I wait for my game to arrive (which as of writing, should be 7 to 10 days away)! smile.gif

Hawk

Ps. "you" in this case is of course shorthand for "Your Exalted Highnesses, The Divine Lights of All Game Creation"

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

Hi AFAIK (and some knowledge came from some other threads) the sound can be converted easily (some probs adjusting the amplitude tho), bitmap graphics are used on most computers as they are the simplest way to store pictures. For the game code, if I remember right Quake I was design on a Mac and ported (seems the reason why it's modular & better programmed and optimized then most other PC(equivalent Windows) games).

But maybe some experienced coders/programmers can help you further...

murx

Guest Big Time Software

I wrote a cross-platform "library" that acts as a middleman between my code and the operating system, and handles all OS-specific issues. This allows me to code up the remainder of Combat Mission with no thought to which computer it's running on.

The sounds and graphics are in different formats on PC and Mac, but are easily converted using utility programs.

Most of the programming was done on a Mac.

Charles