list of titles EF related

I wanted to provide a list of readings which I know of, to those who are waiting for cmbb. I like reading your posts on moonless nights, those are long, as you all know. Here is my list.

Vasili Grossman. "Life and Fate". Trans. by Robert Chandler. Collin Harvins, London. 1985.

Victor Nekrasov. "Front-Line Stalingrad". Trans. by David Floyd. Harvill Press, London. 1962.

Theodor Plivier;

"Moscow". "Stalingrad". "Berlin". This trilogy is a must, imo.Sorry, no editorial, or year.

Konstantin Simonov;

"The Living and the Dead". "Days and Nights". The first title is a novel about encirclements and the defense of Moscow. The second is about Stalingrad.

Alexander Bek. "Volokomask Highway". Accounts of the life of Mumi Ulish, one of Panfilov's commanders and his actions before Moscow.

Note; those are all social novels.

Personal accounts

Marshal Vasili I. Chuikov.

"The Beginning of the road". The story of the battle of Stalingrad. 1967.

"The End of The Third Reich". Trans. by Ruth Kisch, Introduction Alistair Horne. Macgibbon and Kee. 1967.

Alexander Werth. "The War in Russia. 1941-1945".

Panzer Aces (Note to myself. I too leave out many titles I know of, for those hurt by not getting runes!) So only three.

Field Marshal Von Manstein's "Lost Victories". Henri Regner Company. Chicago. 1958.

Samuel W. Mitcham Jr. "The Panzer Legions". A Guide to the German Army Tank Divisions of WWII and Their Commanders". Greenwood Press. Wesport Connecticut. London. 2001. Great source.

I guess I will leave out Heinz Guderian's "Panzer What?

Paul Carell's "Scorched Earth". a follow up to his "Hitler goes East". Covers many encirclements, cauldrons,retreats and Manstein's role in Kharkov Battles. Someone in the library scribbled in the edition I know that this guy's real name is Paul Schdmitt! But the book is ok.

For people looking for very good pictures, what I'm flapping in my wings? a jewel picture book for the warring... LENINGRAD! by Francois de Leroy.

Travel all through the Baltic countries with group "Nord", all the way before Leningrad in PICS. Well, we all know you can't take it, but you can invade HEIMDAL. They got a big edition going, I myself would like to see all their titles. Guess what I found hidding in so many good PICS! EDITIONS. HEIMDAL@ WANADOO.FR

This is a modders must, just don't start talking patch before the event.

John Erikson and Albert Seaton books are very informative. Follow the roads!

Gerald R.Kleinfield and Lewis A. Tambs for those interested in Spanish Blue Division.

VIDEOS.(I have seen some flicks from video-store/video-library).

Tarkovski's "My name is Ivan".

"The Cranes are Crying".

"Come and See".

"The winter War" (Finnish)

Note to myself:

Read; Russell F Weigley's "Eisenhower's Lieutenants". The campaign of France and Germany 1944-45. Blomington Indiana, University Press.1981.

This note is because I'm still trying to figure out what that cmbo gold demo is about!

"Hard in training, easy in Battle." Saburov.

[ August 02, 2002, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: freaky ol'man w/very long wings ]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey FOMWVLW,

I know of most of the books of which you speak. However, I have been trying to get hold of some Soviet Perspective Soldier's Accounts. None of that "Zhukov" or "Chuikov" stuff, I want a real SOLDIER story. Do you know of any of those?

I am looking for something along the lines of Panzer Aces, Forgotten Soldier, that type of theing. Thanx!

Have not read it, someone care to comment?

My just war

Airwar: Swastika in the gunsight

And of course Loza.

Others maybe

The Italians Few returned and The Sergeant in the snow

The Germans

With our backs to Berlin and Through Hell for Hitler (I have read that one, not sure I trust the guy too much, just a nagging feeling though), and Condemned to live

Have not read any of these except for Metelmann and would be interested in opinions.

I happened across this in a library, gave it a quick scan and found it pretty interesting (as well as a change of pace, with Red Army officers given something a human face).

Red Army Tank Commanders, by Richard Armstrong

When told by a brigade commander (Katukov) that he'd rather make a road march to Moscow than travel by rail, Stalin actually asked him how many miles he had till overhaul on his tanks! Amazing!

Don't forget Glantz's works.

Oh, and a warning about Erickson's "The Road to Stalingrad" / "The Road to Berlin" duo: bring your own Soviet-era maps, 'coz there are very few provided, and the ones that ARE there tend not to include the smaller villages and rivers that the text often refers to.

Hi, I give a bump to the list 'cause threads keep appearing on same subject.

PzL, Victor Nekrasov's novel is written by a soldier. An enginer during the siege of Stalingrad. The man became a pretty good writer after the war.

Even Mihail Shokolov ( "The Storm" & Nobel Prize, 1965), praises him.

Alexander Bek's book was written because the writer wanted to interview one of the soldiers who were fighting before Moscow, He found him in the Siberian Mumi Ulish. The book I have to ask from storage in a main university library, though.

Bek, Grossman, Shokolov, Simonov and I believe Plevier were all war correspondants at the time.

Andreas, I have read a couple of the books you mentioned, "Through Hell" and "Few Returned". The first one gives me the same feeling as it did you. The man sounds a bit arrogant, perhaps is the title of the book, perhaps is that he made it back, who knows, the feeling remains.

Anyhow, there is some reminiscents of how life went for a soldier in the east front. Like the man being left alone to take care of a broken tank for weeks and how he ends up working and getting drunk with Russian peasants.

"Few Returned" is a different story, it talk mostly of the hardsips and death of many Italians in POW camps. "Death March", epidemics, cannibalism... a very "Heavy" reading for a short book.

Plevier's Stalingrad is on the same vein, it talks about the German retreat from Kalach all the way down to the cellars of Stalingrad. But for Plevier you must follow his trilogy.

I also placed other titles in the thread "East Front books, recomendations?" and would repeat here.

"Night Witches. The Untold Story of Soviet Women in Combat". Bruce Myles. Presidio Press. Us, 1981.

"Russia's Heroes". Albert Axell. Carroll $ Graf Publishers, INC. New York, 2001.

"Russia at War". Alexander Werth. E.P. Dutton & CO. New York, 1964. (A must, imo)

"Other Men's Graves". Peter Neuman. Weidenfeld and Nicolson. London, 1958. (Written by an SS)

So to counter-balance the above:

"War of Extermination. The German Military in WWII, 1941-1944. Edited by Hannes Heer & Klauss Naumann. Berhahn Books. New York-Oxford, 2000. German Edition, 1995.

thank you.

" Warfare is the father of all good things, it is also the father of good prose". Nietzsche, "Joyfull Wisdom".