German 81mm Mortar Shell

True.

The cast iron nose cap was held to the mortar round by four little pins. When the shell hit the blak powder charge blew the mortar back, sheared the pins,and lighted a delay fuse.

Went back up 5-10 feet in the air.

It was generally less reliable then time fuze, which was more common. The Germans never developed a VT round by the end of the war.

I don't know if the Allies made a VT round small enough to put in a mortar shell.

Originally posted by Charlie Rock:

True.

The cast iron nose cap was held to the mortar round by four little pins. When the shell hit the blak powder charge blew the mortar back, sheared the pins,and lighted a delay fuse.

Went back up 5-10 feet in the air.

It was generally less reliable then time fuze, which was more common. The Germans never developed a VT round by the end of the war.

I don't know if the Allies made a VT round small enough to put in a mortar shell.

I've only heard of VT being used in artillery and not in mortars. What about mortars today?

I would be surprised if it was considering that the Wurfgrante 39 was taken out of production in 1942 due to it's lack of reliability. It was used until stocks ran out but after two years there was probably not much left.

My source (Gander & Chamberlain) puts the "jump" at 6-15 meters.

M.

I heard the Germans, frustrated with their lack of success with the VT fuse, planned a two stage mortar round. The first stage contained several seeds and a supply of Baby Bio. This landed in the earth and quickly grew in a copse of trees. Seconds later the second part of the round, which was filled with contact-fuzed explosive, struck the trees and rained down shrapnel on the hapless allied soldiers. Will this be modelled in CMBB?

There wasnt silicon based transistors in 1943-1945. That means the US must have used tube technology somehow (to make the radar implanted fuses needed for VT). Must have been some sort of micro tubes I suppose. Even if they were very small, they would have taken up alot of space in a shell. A mortar, with its softer launch, would have been easier on the electronics anyway. But the VT was an AA attempt primarily and only used later in the war as a anti-personnel weapon.

Originally posted by Captain Wacky:

I've only heard of VT being used in artillery and not in mortars. What about mortars today?

As far as i now most modern mortar rounds have mulit-option fuses and could be used both in proximity (better then VT) and other modes (impact, delayed, near surface)

Fuzes are probably the greatest advances in arty/mortars. Explosives and shell designs may have made little improvements but the electronics are dirt cheap and magnify the utility and deadliness of indirect fire. Also electronics in laser range finders and radios make indirect fire responsive and deadly.

The advances in body armor/vests somewhat offset these advances though. Troops in earthen bunkers wearing this equipment have a little safety from airbursts.

Originally posted by Swift:

...used both in proximity (better then VT) ...

Prox and VT (Variable Time) are two names for the same thing. The other option I think you are looking for is MT (Mechanical Timer). MT works like an egg timer - after so many seconds the fuze goes 'poof'. In certain circumstances MT is better than VT, but in general VT is preferred.

Regards

JonS

Edit: because these new nested quotes can be a real pain.

[ February 07, 2002, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]