assault guns verses tanks?

My worthy opponant can make my assault guns and tank killers dance!! He uses two vehicles positioned beyond the fire arck of the "gun". Then he pops out frome behind cover one vehicle after the other. As one shoots and backs in to cover the other moves out and shoots. Between the slow rate of fire and the lack of a turent the tank killer dosent even get off a shot. He now uses any vehicle fore this..... It's crazy to watch a jagdepanther react to a grayhound that is over 700yrds away while a M4 takes shot after shot at him! Some of you may say well move the assault gun, But then A grayhound and Sherman can drive a jagdpanther from his position from any range he chooses!! And dont tell me to just keep shooting at the same spot... The Germans are soon out of ammo which for them is precious! So is there a way to keep an assult gun pointed in one direction??????

Use a "keyhole" deployment for the assault gun, instead of a position with a wide field of fire. A wide field of fire also means a wide arc of enemies firing at you, and that doesn't work well without a turret, as you found.

Instead, put the Jagd next to a building, a clump of woods, or the edge of a ridge, just peeking around one end of it. With some other obstacle (though not as close by) off on the other flank.

You sight between two obstacles, in other words, with those slightly ahead of you as well as to the sides. This creates a narrower sighting cone, called a "keyhole", perhaps 30-45 degrees wide - sometimes even narrower for long range stalking.

Point the Jagd down the center-line of this cone. It will not have far to turn to hit something. Another benefit is always presenting the front armor, since the cover blocks shots at your flanks.

Either in that case or in more open deployments, you can also try using an ambush marker to shoot only at a particular area. But if the field of fire is wide, that can be dangerous, because the vehicle typically won't react except to a target right on top of the ambush marker. It works best if you are set up "keyhole" fashion to begin with (as above), then target a particular gap through trees or what-not.

Turretless AFVs are meant to fight from ambush, using a keyhole deployment or targeting a particular gap, getting their kill, and then repositioning and doing it all over again.

Sometimes you need to hold back enemy tanks from some particular spot of ground, and thus have to stay more still to cover the approach, instead of shifting positions after each kill. In that case, it is best to use criss-crossing keyhole sight lines from several assault guns, so that enemies approaching one position from outside its sighting cone have to cross the LOS of a different gun. This also keeps both presenting their front armor, while each protects the flanks of its teammate.

I hope this helps.

[ 08-01-2001: Message edited by: JasonC ]

This seems like a very gamey tactic, basically exploiting an ai weakness (i.e. no short-term memory).

btw, Is there a list of generally accepted (or unacceptable) gamey tactics? It'd be nice to have a reference that could be agreed to beforehand for a game.

- xerxes

almost all of my SP gun succes has come from hull down positions. have your infantry let you know where the enemy AFV's are, wait for them to engage your ground pounders, sneak up to the crest, KO a tank, and go back to hidding. yes a very ideal situation, but it works like a charm if you set it up. the stug's are especially good at this because of their very low profile! in city hidding works, but can get very annoying because SP guns dont spot very good and turn very slow when next to a building. make sure you leave some room inbetween.

With your ATGs just let the tanks get in real close. I have found that if you start firing at long ranges the ATGs are almost worthless and will probably be killed before they really do any damage. German ATGs are real stealthy and quite quick on movement. I had a Pak43, 2 Quad 20mms and a 88Flak in an area in heavy trees hiding overlooking a road. My oppoenent drove 2 Sherman(76)s, 2 M10s, and a couple of HTs right by me. They were 200 meters away and never saw me. Of course the next turn they did when I opened up and almost the whole column went up in smoke withing 45 seconds. I could have opened up alot farther out but I find it is better to keep them closer. More of an ambush. Especially with Quad 20mms they shoot so fast they seem to disorientate the enemy. But maybe that is just me.

As for the TDs get them in a hull down position and have them hunt over the top of the hill then retreat. This weapon is better used at longer ranges since they are turretless. Or use them in an ambush.

Also pick your weapon for the job. I have had so many chances to smoke HTs, M10s with flak 88s and pak guns but why bother? I keep those safe until a Sherman or Churchill shows up on the sceen. Let the smaller flak guns smoke those thin skinned vehicles.

Gen